Tuesday, July 15, 2008

AWESOME Chicken Nuggets

Ok folks- almost all of you know I am a horribly picky eater. I hate everything, I don't like any vegetables other than cucumbers and lettuce. And let's be honest- there's little to no vegetable value in those. :) So I was watching Oprah last week and Jessica Seinfeld was hawking her book "Deceptively Delicious". Now I have seen this in Target and just never looked at it. She made these chicken nuggets opn there with cauliflower puree and they looked FREAKING GOOD. So I went online this weekend to find a recipe, and sure enough- I found it. We made it this weekend and let me tell you: if I hadn't pureed sweet potatoes myself- I would not have known they were in there. It was SO good. Olivia even ate it, and we all know how picky she is!! I would say though, I would add a few more spices next time because it didn't have enough for my taste, but it was really good. Oh- and I baked mine at 400 degrees for like 20-25 minutes because I don't like frying them myself. And I found that by using the puree, I would use a little less next time because the coating mixture for the chicken is a little runny, so I had to really roll it in that, then put it in the bread crumbs ASAP and kind of spread it to cover the chicken. I also wonder if you used like corn flakes or potato chips instead of bread crumbs if it'd be more crunchy?

AND, as I was reading online, all of her recipes in this book are low fat or no fat. :) How cool is that? So I am definitely going to buy this book on pay day and I will periodically put recipes on here and let you know if it fooled me and Olivia. :) They have a chocolate cake in the book too, so if I can find that recipe online I'll let you know. :)

Deceptively Delicious Chicken Nuggets (With Veggie Puree)

20 min 10 min prep
SERVES 4
1 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs (or panko)
1/2 cup flax seed meal
1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 cup broccoli or spinach or sweet potato or beet, puree
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast or chicken tenders, rinsed, dried and cut into small chunks
1/2 teaspoon salt
nonstick cooking spray
1 tablespoon olive oil

In a bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, flaxseed meal, Parmesan, paprika, garlic and onion powder on the paper or foil and mix well with your fingers.
In a shallow bowl, mix the vegetable puree and egg with a fork and set the bowl next to the breadcrumb mixture.
Sprinkle the chicken chunks with the salt. Dip the chunks into the egg mixture and then toss them in the breadcrumbs until completely coated.
Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the oil.
Place the chicken nuggets in the skillet in a single layer, being careful not to crowd the pan, and cook until crisp and golden on one side, 3 to 4 minutes.
Turn and cook until the chicken is cooked through, golden brown and crisp all over, 4 to 5 minutes longer. (Cut through a piece to check that it's cooked through.) Serve warm.

No comments: