Thursday, August 13, 2009

Book Review: IF I STAY by Gayle Forman

Man, you people are going to think I only read. But, I assure you my kids are still alive and well, my cats are being fed, and my husband is around. I think. But anyways- on with the review!

I started this book at 9 pm last night, just thinking I can get in a few pages before bed. Nope- finished the entire thing in just under two hours. FANTASTIC.

IF I STAY



The book is about Mia, who is 17 years old and is faced with really, an unspeakable tragedy and then an even more difficult decision. In the front of the book Mia and her family are in a horrendous car accident and Mia must decide whether to die or to fight and continue to live. The entire book is about choices- and how they can affect the rest of your life and others as well. I recommend this book to EVERYONE. I am a firm believer that you, whether you know it or not, make the decision whether you will die or not. I don't believe that you just die. You may do it subconsciously, but I believe you make the decision to die when it's time for you. Granted, others may think you died too soon, or held on too long, but at the end of the day- that's your path and I think you know your path and in the end, you follow it. What is more amazing about this book is the way it's written. One section you are with Mia and she's watching loved ones talk to her and watch the medical staff intervene with things go wrong, and then the next section you are walking down memory lane with her.

The most powerful part of the book, for me, was when Mia's grandfather tells her that it's ok to die. She'd be missed, but if she wanted to go he'd understand. BUT, if she wanted to stay that they are waiting and rooting for her. OK- ball like a baby!! But it was a great book and I think it's enlightening for anyone who's held vigil next to someone dying, I believe that it gives comfort to you. I see my Uncle David's death in a different way and although I know he heard our prayers and messages to him, this book kind of reaffirmed it for me. :) Enjoy!

No comments: