Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Labor Day Weekend Recap

OK, so this post is really picture heavy at the end, so enjoy those. But first, let's recap the weekend. It wasn't great (anyone surpised??).


So the party on Saturday was really fun. Olivia had a fabulous time, got great gifts, I enjoyed schmoozing with people and Matt was practically throwing a tantrum when I told him to run after Jackson who started running down the alley. Yah- because I'm a bitch for making him round up our 17 month old while I did the games. Obviously, being a responsible parent is so pase.

After the party, I decided that I had NO energy to really clean, so I left it for Sunday. Sunday I got up, did the dishes, put stuff away, moved other stuff around to avoid putting it away, packed all of us up to go to the Twin Cities for the night and Monday. Supposed to be going for a family gathering that night, family reunion on Monday. Super. So we hit the road at noon. And guess what? NON STOP CRYING from not one, but TWO kids the entire way down. BUT, we did see a lot of corn and soy bean plants. AND, I got to see a wind turbine up and actually working, AND I got to see one of those super huge crop watering things that like spin around or whatever. I consider myself educated now.


So we get to Northfield, check into the hotel room, which is yah- a dump. I should have taken a picture of the breakfast area, because that was so lame I couldn't believe it. It had horrible colored couches (oh, I'm sorry, it was just one that appeared to have some stains on the seat). The floor probably hasn't been cleaned in weeks. The breakfast eating area consisted of two really crappy fold up tables, no chairs. Our room was a handicapped one which was great because you could actually get dressed in the bathroom, but the carpet in the main room was damp. No, I take that back- it was wet. (Lisa- flashbacks of our hotel room in Burnsville from our famous nightmare ValleyFair trip came to me...). We first called Matt's parents who have conveniently turned the cell phones off. Matt's sister informs us she has no idea what's going on, has not heard from them either. This is around 3.

At 5, we decide that fuck it, we're hungry- we're going to Perkins yall. We had the RUDEST super pregnant waitress ever. Like she literally slammed our plates down, and my coke, which splashed all over my food. And left. Yah- no tip for you bitch. We finished our food, went back to the hotel. It is now 6pm.

Called the phones again- no answer. SO, we decide to go swimming. I literally shoved all my excess loveliness into my swimsuit and gently remind myself I either need to starve myself for the Florida trip or hope to God there is a store down there with better swimsuits because this one? Not comfortable and not cute. We get down to the pool (picture below) and yah- fucking disgusting. (Again, Lisa- flashbacks to Burnsville...) the water was freezing, which you know- I can deal with. The sanitariness of the pool is something all together different. Now, if it were just Matt and I- we'd not risk our health by getting in. But the kids were SO excited, talked about this for days, and I figured that their feet would not touch the ground so we'll wing it. But let me tell you something- when you get into a hotel pool and instantly think "yeah, this feels like an unkept lake" that is not good. It was gross. I almost puked because as I actually got in, the bottom was slimy, and um...chunky? Yah- chunky is the best way I could describe it. My foot slipped a few times pushing Jackson around in his tube thing, and when I bumped the side of the pool helping Olivia try to swim, I had stuff on my arm. When we got out, my feet were greenish. Like disgusting. You better believe I made us all get in the shower- I scrubbed my kids until they were red, and then rubbed Germ X all over them. I sat in that shower for a good 30 minutes- washed my hair 4 times, and it still felt disgusting and straw like.

So this is now 7:30. No call- no word from Matt's parents. At this point, to say that I'm pissed is really toning it down. I was going to go balls out if they called because how freaking rude to basically demand us to come down, and then not tell us what's going on. So we try to get the kids to bed. Olivia and I share a bed, Matt and Jackson in the other. You'll not be surprised to hear that neither kid fell asleep until 12:30 a.m. Jackson finally fell asleep around 2, only to be woken up by Matt's snoring (with the rest of us) at 3. Jackson climbed into my bed, and fell asleep with his ass in the air, head in my armpit...drooling. THAT is a gross feeling.

We are awakened at 7 am by Matt's mom demanding we meet them in one hour because they are pissed that we didn't do the family gathering the night before. Really? How can we do something that we know NOTHING about?? Matt tells her one hour is not going to happen since we need to wake up, get dressed, eat, and pack yet. Finally, after two phone calls and not so nice words, we decide that we will meet them at Matt's aunt/uncle's house to get a freezer. Very nice to get a freezer, we have no problem hauling it back, but really? Do I want junk that other people picked over already? And can I just say- HOW FUCKING RUDE IS IT to pick over someone's stuff who isn't dead yet? That is cold. I don't care who you are or why you think you should/can do this- cold and rude. And I'm sorry- but grandkids should get last pick, all of the children should get first pick (and this should be done together) and then grandkids get what's left...when the person dies. Anyways.


So we do that, go to Como Zoo. Nobody is really there yet so we let the kids play for a bit. We decide since we have to leave at 1, that we are going to take the kids over to see the animals. Well guess what? It's really busy on a holiday weekend, so it took us longer to get to everything. We realize at noon that the kids are hungry and hot, so we decide to eat in the zoo cafe because Olivia needed to get out of the sun because of her antibiotics (another story) and Jackson was looking a little flushed. AC was what they needed. We decide to go back to the picnic grounds after lunch to sit and chat with people. Now, let me just enter here that I know that the majority (not all, but most) of Matt's family does not care for me- his mother being the worst of the bunch. And I don't know why, but whatever- I don't really care. I'm not changing who I am for them. I happen to like me, and so do a lot of other people. BUT, his mom was so rude to me I couldn't believe it. Matt's brother's girlfriend came, and I really like her. She's normal, seems fun, and my kids adore her. But as soon as she came, Matt and I were blatantly ignored. So we left. I figured that if nobody wants to socialize with us, fine. I don't feel like it should always be us coming down to see them. I get that Matt's parents always did that for whatever reason, but it isn't fair. Of all of the people down south, Matt and I are the least financially able to travel. To travel to Minneapolis/St. Paul for us is a lot. PLUS, Matt works a lot. More than most people realize, so taking a weekend off means that we are losing at least $300 plus whatever it costs us to go down. So that sucks. I just don't think I ever got a fair shake with most of them (and again, I say most, because I genuinely like some of Matt's cousins/spouses and I really wish that we had a relationship) but Matt's mom has never really cared for me and I think that's part of the problem. Nope- I'm not a church goer, and Nope- I have strong opinions/views, but you know what? I am respectful when I'm with them. I don't think I've ever done anything that made them think, "Holy shit- where did she come from?". Maybe I have, but yeah- resonable people have the balls to say something.

Anyways- so yeah- the trip back was slightly better, but we had a rough bedtime routine, Matt and I didn't get to bed until 2:30 Tuesday morning because we had to clean up and unpack, and get ready to go to work on Tuesday. Matt had to be at work at 4:45 am, so he got no sleep. I was up at 5:30 to get ready for work- so yeah, hardly anything for me. Another shitty weekend down the tubes. BUT- here are some pictures!

Jackson on a leash!

Me and my 4 year old baby (*tear!!!*)


CORN! Finny- I saw a ton of corn, and I totally thought of you. Someday, this could be you!


How gross is this pool? Seriously?


Jackson and Olivia totally ready to go back to the room.





*finally* I got to see a wind turbine assembled and working!


SCARIEST thing to see on your GPS. Guess how many times Matt looped around?


Olivia is smiling but don't be fooled- gripping my thigh so hard I had finger marks.

Jackson apparently doesn't like carousels or the circular motion.

initially clapping when the lions woke up..

,,,after seeing the lions hit the glass- he was scared.


Olivia and Jackson sitting on the turtle- Jackson thought it was going to move.



Jackson pooping...working hard.

8 comments:

lareinaelena said...

Hey!

That does not sound like fun at all. I'm glad to hear that Olivia's party went well.

As for the family, I'm not entirely sure what happened on Sunday. We were not there. I do know that we all genuinely look forward to seeing all of you-- the picnic is short and chaotic. I was glad to visit for the short time we did.

Usually, we all eat and then go as a big cousins and kids group over to the midway. That's where we really have fun. Should you come next year, stick with us: it's a blast!

I really think people want to talk to you and genuinely spend time with you. At least that is the sense I get from our part of the family. Since it was Karl's girlfriend's first appearance, I;m gonna guess that's why attention was focused her way. Again, I wasn't around for that part.

When I entered the "family," I had to do the socializing myself. It's not a priority for Joel so I took it upon myself to "get-to-know" people. Hey.. if that is what it takes to feel a part of the group, yhen I am all for it.

I do think it would be nice to make the trek up there. I'll have to put that bug in Joel's ear.

scrapperjen said...

WOW! What a saga!!!!!
And that pool? Excuse me while I go vomit! I hope you contact the owner/chain of wherever you stayed because that is unacceptable.
You want to see wind turbines - you should come our way, we have LOTS!!!! And lots of corn too. :)
Hope this coming weekend is better.
HUGS!

Elise said...

Hello ! Lovely post - thank you for sharing it. I really enjoyed looking through your site today - best wishes and lovely to meet you !

Jerasphere said...

yeah, you get the "your weekend sucked the worstest" award.

Amandasaurus said...

What a shame about Matt's mother! I wonder what her problem is.

Can I just say that I think I stayed in the equivalent of that hotel in New Hampshire one time? I was so excited to go swimming but my twelve-year-old self could not be convinced to touch the water, and then while we were sleeping there were gunshots outside. I mean, it was NH; maybe some redneck hunters got lost or something. Except there was a lot of yelling, I think my mom called the front desk. It was miserable, and scary because my dad wasn't there to take care of things. Somehow having Dad around always makes things better, right?

Come pay me a visit if you get a chance! http://japandamanda.blogspot.com

Ann said...

God, your life sucks worse than mine! LOL! And if you wanna see more corn, soybeans, and/or wind farms, head on down to central IL--we have LOTS.

Holly said...

Left an award for you on my blog
http://www.hersouthernheart.com/2009/09/blog-award_16.html

Sara said...

What a weekend! Almost sucked worse than mine.

Maybe your MIL will come around someday. It has taken me 13 years.

Sometimes time is all we have as adults. Time to wait for others to mature. Time to wait for others to experience life and have that "AHA!" moment where they can connect with you. Time.

Good luck and keep your head up.

The pictures are adorable. You have some cute kids!