Monday, November 9, 2009

Let's Chat About Poop.

Unless you can't really read, you know that I have two kids, Olivia who is 4 and Jackson who is 19 months.

And I've previously mentioned our escapades on poop here and here and that really is not even close to the amount of poop stories I could have told. We've been dealing with Olivia and her bizarre poop problems for almost two years now. And a normal person would have thrown in the towel like...2 years ago, but I'm one of those people who live in sometimes denial that there may be a problem and since she is my first born, I really have no idea what the hell I am doing.

At least I'm honest.

But everything has come to a bit of a head about two weeks ago where I felt as if I'd have a nervous breakdown in my bathroom when I realized that after 27 accidents (in a row) in her underwear of poopy goo and me screaming at the cats for not helping, Olivia crying on the toilet, and Jackson unraveling the toilet paper that I realized- I need help. I can't keep doing this. So I called her doctor and made an appointment for the following Friday.

And this wouldn't be our first round at the doctor. This summer I took her in for multiple visits to different doctors for the same thing but at the same time she also had lost about 10 pounds. Now my little girl is a tiny little thing. She's (on a good day) 35 pounds. Stick thin. (If she's lucky, she'll keep her dad's figure and not inherit my "bubble butt" and extra weight in the front. Moving on...)

And basically I was told to keep her on Miralax, use suppositories as needed and change her diet. Well I did all of that and yet we continue with the issues. I'm done. As I've mentioned.

So when I took her in on Friday they of course did another x-ray and I thought this would be misleading since the day before she pooped something as hard and as big as a softball. I am so very much not kidding. This is her routine- hold it for 6-7 days, poop a softball. Well the x-ray revealed that she was FULL. I mean as full as a 31 pound kid could be. Which explains why she isn't eating- there is nowhere for it to go.

The doctor wanted me to admit her to the main hospital right then so they could basically rotor-router her, and I just didn't want to do that. I opted to try some enemas at home, Miralax every two hours, and suppositories in between. We were going to wage a war on her butt. And colon. And intestines. Yuck.

Well guess what. NOTHING HAPPENED. All weekend. I kid you not. Now today she did her softball and then I gave her an enema thinking that with the ball being gone, the enema could get to the other stuff. Nope. I got one wet fart, tons of screaming, and leg cramps from sitting on the bathroom floor.

And I have to tell you that I felt like an idiot. Seriously, I felt like a labor coach when I was repeating, "Just push it out. You are doing a GREAT job. You are such a big girl, you are doing so well, keep going", etc while rocking and massaging her. All I needed was some ice chips. Discouraging isn't even the word I'd use here. Defeated is more like it.

And at the bottom of it all, I have a little girl with a pooping problem. I honestly don't know if we have a health issue at the root or a kid who for whatever reason is holding this poop in. She's never had a traumatic experience on the potty, but she's always (since an infant) had gas issues and really hard, pellet like poops. But now we just hold it for days. I just want her to feel better. So now we see a pediatric GI the middle of November and then we also have a follow up with her doctor. I am going to call on Wednesday to let her know our at-home clean out efforts didn't work. My guess is that she'll make us go into the hospital Wednesday or Thursday to get her pumped out clean. I am REALLY hoping Matt can come with me, because I don't do well with medical stuff. Like, I'm not a nurse for a reason, yo. But she needs me so obviously I wouldn't let her be in there alone. But if you have some really amazing tips on how to get a massive amount of poop out quickly- let me know.

So if I'm not around much this week- that would be why. I'm coaching a 4 year old to poop. And slowly losing my sanity at the same time- which means I can't guarantee what kind of shape I'll be in when I get back. :)

6 comments:

Rhonda Marie. said...

I know this sounds crazy but have you tired coffee? I know that its not good for a 4 year old to have coffee but maybe? Maybe her bowls are too small. Keep my updated! I love you!
Rhonda

Sara said...

How frustrating!!! I've heard from several parents that their kid was a BHer. (bowel holder) Diet usually makes a difference.

I know this is odd, but have you had her tested for celiac disease? A blood test will tell if she has active celiac disease. Treatment is a strict gluten free diet. Just a thought.

I hope you find out what is wrong with her. Poor baby!

Julia said...

This sounds like enough to make me get a lobotomy at this point. You are doing well I would surmise from your description. My sympathies are for you!!!!

The coffee does sound good. My husband swears by it.

I can't but feel bad for the whole lot of you. I hope something improves soon.

Jill said...

I had a kid who did a softball size poop, and THAT IS a traumatic event. In relative terms, that's like one of us giving birth to a 25 lb baby!
Alex stopped having problems after that, but in addition to medical intervention, I am going to say the same thing as Sara, and recommend that you have her tested for food allergies. There is a clinic in LaCrosse that does blood testing for allergies (much easier than the usual method), and offers homeopathic treatment, which with some work can even cure the allergies - sometimes.
A friend of mine has a kid with food allergies (actually their whole family has them), and when he eats foods he is sensitive to, he poops his pants too - and he's six.
I'm sorry you're going through this - I know it's miserable for both of you.
Also, it may help her to put her on a high quality probiotic, which you can buy in a health food store. If you want to give that idea a shot, and want to start cheap, try Activia yoghurt and see if that helps. I'd try to get her to eat a couple a day.

scrapperjen said...

Oh I'm sorry for all of you! Hang in there and you know you can share your poop stories all you want. I hope it is nothing serious and just something she needs to relax about or something....
You can e-mail me anytime - ya know that, right? :P
Love ya - hang in there!

Anonymous said...

If she's still having toilet troubles, you might want to join this discussion group

health.groups.yahoo.com/group/suppository_moms