Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Cleaner For Hire...Child Labor or Smart Business?

For Christmas we (and by we I obviously mean Santa) got Jackson a vacuum cleaner. He is really obsessed with cleaning and when on our vacation in October, my cousins had a toy vacuum. He tried putting it in our suitcase.
Throughout the vacation Jackson impressed everyone with his mad cleaning skills. He dusted daily for my grandparents and not only moved the things on the table to dust, he put everything back.
He loves to Swiffer, he loves my mom's sweeper vac thing and will clean her floors until the batteries die. He totes a squirt bottle of water almost everywhere with an towel to clean up after all of us.
So here is him with part of his new vacuum. It has a detachable dust buster thing. Clever.
I think he'd prefer our real vacuum since that one will suck up stuff and he gets PISSED OFF when this one just won't clean the floor like he wants it to.
So do I rent him out? Do I keep this gem to myself? I mean, I hope this is a compulsion he keeps forever. Not only for my own sanity but for the health of Matt and Olivia. Because I think they all get a bit sick of hearing me bitch about the disaster we call a living room. Or the disgustinging room we call a "laundry room/second bathroom" (which is code for a toilet plopped in front of the washing machine. We also have no ceiling in there. And one wall is pretty much demolished. But that's another post entirely).
But Jackon is at his happiest when he's eating things he shouldn't (markers, crayons, play doh and various other art supplies) but cleaning is the next best option. He'd clean all day if he could.

11 comments:

Mr O said...

getting the kids started young haha

at least you don't have to trick em into cleaning?

Lisa said...

haha aww that's so cute! It's always great when they naturally just LOVE to do things like that!

P.S. I adore your playlist!! :)

Tammy said...

I can only wish that when I have children they will be like Jackson! That is wayy too cute....and wayy too awesome :)

Cristina said...

Too cute! Where can I get one of him? My place could use some cleaning.

Noel said...

Wow. I had to be forced into cleaning. This kid is going to be an ace when he gets to college and has to deal with the roommate thing. At least he won't wake up with his dirty dishes in his bed.

Sourav !!! said...

Wish I can hire Jackson to show some skills at my place too .. cute :D

Smart Ass Sara said...

@Lisa- THANKS! I love my playlist too. And I play it while I'm working.

@Cristina-we'll be renting him out soon I'm sure. :)

@Noel- hey blog swap buddy! I know, but I'm worried he'll be "that kid" that's kind of dorky because he's all neat and clean. That would be no good. :)

mattkendrick said...

Hang on to that one! He'll be so responsible when he grows up.

FinnyKnits said...

Sounds like he's more thorough than our cleaning lady, so maybe you should rent him out. She gets an unreasonable fee for the amount of work she does, so maybe he can build up his college savings this way.

Or at least you could buy some new shoes :)

Krysten Hartenstein said...

Way to start 'em young!

Lilly P said...

Smart business for sure! A little child labor never hurt anyone...

But really, if he likes it, I wouldn't stop him! You can have your own little cleaning assistant.