Friday, August 27, 2010

Domestic Bitch Friday + Swollen Ear = Fabulously Weird Friday.

Before I get into Domestic Bitch Friday- here's something fun from today. So I took the kids to Michaels because I needed a few essentials and they wanted some more construction paper. As I'm walking out I was looking at Jackson, who's sitting all happy in the front of my cart, and I'm thinking, "Damn- I didn't realize Jack had such big ears." But then I realized that there was something very wrong with his ear. He's his normal ear:
And here's what he had on the other ear:

Like DANG. It's super red, swollen and warm. So weird. He's not allergic to anything (that I know of) and he hadn't eaten anything recent. So I'm thinking it's maybe a bug bite or something? But he never complained and I didn't see any bugs. I don't know. So that was at 11:30 this morning and 7 hours later it's still the same. SO, I gave him some Benedryl and we'll see what it looks like in the morning. But it does look a bit ridiculous.

OK. So let's get on with DBF.

I've professed my love for Finny many times. She makes me not want to be such a baby about fruits and vegetables. Which will probably never happen but I feel such shame that she's growing all these fabulous things and I'm trying very hard to choke down one bite of peas like I'm a god damn toddler or something. I mean, really. It's embarrassing. So like WEEKS ago Finny sent me apricot jam. I thought it was going to be a war all up in here because Gini (and I love Gini loads-- I just couldn't be forced to choose) sent me apricot jam because I mentioned at how much I like apricot jam but ONLY on English muffins. It's weird and doesn't make sense, but welcome to my world. Anyways. So I used up all of Gini's jam on my muffins but BAM! Finny sends me jam. And at this point, muffins were no longer on sale and I figured I can't let it go to waste. I mean, Finny would be sad and I can't make my beloved Finny sad. So god dammit I was on the search for a recipe that used apricot jam that I wouldn't immediately hate.
 See Finny?? I love the jam. And I think it loves me.

And I totally did. Apricot Chicken kind of looks like vomit, tastes good, and is super easy to make. All you need are chicken boobies (I cut mine up into cubes because again, I'm a toddler like that), 1/2 cup of apricot jam (you'll wish Finny was YOUR friend),  1 tbsp of cornstarch, 2 tbsp of soy sauce, and a pinch of salt. Mix it all together- put in a casserole dish. And then I added a handful or two of frozen veggies so I didn't have to get a separate pan out for those. Bake it all together until the chicken is done (about 30-40 minutes) and serve it on rice.
It was really good. Like really super good. So good I actually ate it.

But WAIT, Finny!! (This is where I hope to do her proud) I made homemade blueberry muffins. I had to use actual flour and such but it wasn't a packet!! AND.... (hold your melons, Finny) I used REAL blueberries. Straight from a garden.

Let's all just take a moment to digest the hugeness of this.

See???? They look like rabbit poo but it's really blueberries. For real ones! Not the ones that puff up when you put them in stuff!!
AND (seriously- if you are risk for heart failure..please stop reading) I made cinnamon crumble stuff that goes on top. Now...I obviously didn't eat them because the fact I did the apricot chicken on the same week as the muffins was pretty big. I'm not THAT crazy. But my husband ate them and said they were the BEST blueberry muffins he had ever had. And he was telling me the truth because if something sucks or tastes like ass he lets me know. AND his co-workers loved them. It's just all major up in here.

OK- so my projects...I've been busy. Seriously, yo. I have gotten so many packages out in the mail it's insane. But this week I focused on Etsy shop stuff (seriously- buy my stuff so I can afford to buy more flour for muffins), Olivia's birthday party invitations, and a shadow box that's been sitting on my desk for oh...two years now. :)
This is the front of Olivia's invitation. She's turning five (obviously) and so we're doing an art themed party for her. We're going bright colors, tons of balloons and crafty stuff. It should be really fun. But I always put the party invitations in clear envelopes because it's just really fun to get that in the mail. And instead of doing a card that opens- it's just one you flip over.
Obviously...I whited out the important info. :) But with my Cricut machine I made the big "5" confetti because it's kind of cool. That and I screwed up and ended up with extra 5's and I figured I could do that instead of throwing them away. But she's excited and she loves her invites. Mission accomplished.

The other project is one I did for Olivia's first baby shoes that I wanted to do for Jackson. I'm all about even so I bought everything I needed to display Jackson's first shoes. And then it sat on my desk for two years. But I finished it just this afternoon.
It's not a great picture- but aren't these cute? Each box has a pattern paper on the back "wall" and I used rub ons to put their names and their birth year on the wall. I used regular glue to adhere the shoes. Then I used rub ons to put "first shoes" on the glass of the box (on the outside) because it adds dimension. And I obviously painted the box. BUT because I like distressed stuff I purposely put some paint on the glass so it looks messed up on purpose. I think it's kind of cool. For those of you who want to try this- be aware that some shoes are not going to fit the box. These boxes are under $3 at Michaels but Olivia's red shoes barely fit in there. But if you have booties or something those would work really well.

On to the..... Freebies!:

Organic Samples
FasTab Hanging Folders
Men's Degree Deodorant
Free Music from Spin (there is also a link to get the free August music downloads on this page too!)
Breathe Right Strips
Kellogg's All Bran Cereal Pack
Cold Stone Creamery- AWESOME coupon

Have a great night!

8 comments:

BloodRedRoses said...

Chicken boobies?

Those two words alone made my night! Hilarious my friend.

I found you on the 20SB For the Love of Food group. I'm really enjoying your blog!

Mom Taxi Julie said...

You've been busy! Everything looks awesome!

Krysten @ After 'I Do' said...

Oh my gosh Sara those first shoe displays are DARLING. Seriously so damn cute I'm dying.

I'm trying really hard to type well because I just got home and I'm a little drunk. But see, even when I'm drinking I'm thinking of you ;-) Because I love my Sara stalker ;-)

Oh my gosh. Time for bed.

Annah said...

Have I ever told you that you look like you're friggin' seventeen? I'm SO jealous of you. UGH!

Chicken said...

Are you saying that you want to cut my boobies up into small squares? At this point I'd probably be OK with that. I went pregnancy bra shopping Saturday and got upset when the double letters weren't fitting.

MrsDixon said...

That vomit chicken looks....well, sounds like it tastes amazing! I just might try this recipe!!!

Naila Moon of the Grey Wolf said...

Chicken boobies...funny!
I always knew when my son had a fever because his ears would get red and heated. The kids never complained.

I am your newest follower.
Peace,
Naila Moon

FinnyKnits said...

Not only did you use the jam but you also cooked with other vegetables and THEN FRESH BLUEBERRIES?!

Who are you right now?

Shit, girl - I'm proud.