Sunday, August 8, 2010

The music challenge that made me use my brain on a weekend.

First off, I am such a retard that I didn't notice that last night's post was my 400th. Dang yall.

Anyways, my super fabulous friend I've never met Jandy posted on her blog a music challenge she is playing along in and since it's Sunday (aka True Blood night) I'm not going to be here this evening. Usually I skip Sundays because I'm all getting my shit together so I can watch True Blood without interruption and then hurry up and hope either The T.O Show, Ochocinco, or Jersey Shore is on. And frankly, I'm ashamed I'm even admitting that I have gotten sucked into these last three shows. Fucking SHAME.

So let's do this shizz. Mmmmkay?

Favorite song: Yellow by Coldplay.

Least favorite song: I don't have a least. Pretty much any golden oldie, anything that has been touched by anyone with the last name Osmond, anything by Steely Dan... I mean I could go on.

A song that makes you happy: Santa Monica by Everclear. It always reminds me of the time I had spent the night at my friend Allena's house on one end of town, and we walked back to my house in August. It was easily 90 degrees yet we were, for whatever reason, wearing huge jackets and decided to take "the shortcut" next to the oil refinery to my house on the other end of town. Somewhere along the way we decided that we should since this song over and over again and in the process we picked up a hubcap, a 2x4 piece of wood and a ton of cattails. I don't know- we obviously had heat stroke or something. But every time I hear Everclear I think of her.

A song that makes you sad: I have a ton, but most of the ones that make me stop are ones that remind me of my Uncle David. A few of them would be Sarah McLachlan's "Will You Remember Me", Eric Clapton's "Running on Faith", and Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Life by the drop". Ugh- all of these will bring me to tears.

A song that makes you think of someone: I associate pretty much all of my friends with a few songs. Not because there's a special meaning on the song- just that when I hear it or the melody I think of them. Such as:
-Any Rolling Stone song makes me think of my mom.
-The Eagle's "Take It Easy" reminds me of my step dad, who's a truck driver
-The Eagle's "Depserado" (the extended version) reminds me of when I got my tattoo. The lady doing my tattoo sang it the whole time. It was a really weird and uncomfortable situation because she'd stop working to sing the chorus. I almost felt like maybe I should excuse myself or something.
-"Yellow" by Coldplay and "Day Late Friend" by Anberlin remind me of my blogger bestie, Mr. O.
- Green Day's "Wake Me Up When September Ends" reminds me of the car ride home after Olivia was born. She was born in September so that was cool. Plus I had horrible post partum depression with her, so I don't remember September-December at all. Weird.
A song that reminds you of somewhere: Fun fact- I love Jimmy Buffet. Anytime I hear anything of his, it reminds me of Florida. Not just from when I lived there but the times I've visited since then. If I'm homesick I put Jimmy on and feel a little bit better.
A song that reminds you of certain events: OK, so the Green Day song above reminds me of when I had Olivia. Alicia Key's "If I Ain't Got You" was the song Matt & I danced to at our wedding. I lost my virginity listening to Nine Inch Nails' "The Great Below". heehee..

A song which you know all the words: Oh I know the words to millions of songs. I'm actually going to say millions. I could be a karaoke MACHINE. Except I had a little piece of something called pride and self respect that prevent me from rocking karaoke. And anytime Paramore's "I Caught Myself" comes on not only do I sing it at the top of my lungs, but so does Olivia.
A song which you can dance to: Um, anything? But one of the most concert jam out/dance like a fucking crazy moments is always Kings of Leon's "Black Thumbnail". BUT non concert moment? Is going to Manchester Orchestra's "Shake It Out". If you can't lose it on that I think you are certifiable.
A song that makes you fall asleep: Well I can fall asleep listening to anything so there isn't really a song out there that will make me sleepy. But Smashing Pumpkins "Farewell & Goodnight" comes close. I remember hanging out with Allena and we'd sing that right before bed at sleepovers. Pretty much that entire album reminds me of her too. Oh and The Black Keys' "The Lengths" puts me in a sleepy/horny mood. Weird but true.

A song from your favorite band: Wow- ok #1 favorite is going to be Kings of Leon and I'll be a chump and say all of theirs are my favorites. Mostly because they are all SO good and I can't just pick one. Ugh. But my other favorite bands are (with a fav song of theirs): Smashing Pumpkins (Stumbleine), Coldplay (Yellow), Led Zepplein (Tangerine or Immigrant Song--they both get a lot of play for me), Fleetwood Mac (Rhiannon), Paramore (Misguided Ghosts), etc. Too many to ever list.

A song from a band you hate: Wow- again, too many to list. But can I just mention that I would like Jason Derulo to die and never come back? Just in general- I really HATE, HATE, HATE when a band/artist mentions their name in a song. It's so fucking lame and annoying. Do you suck that bad that you have to repeat your name in hopes people will come around?

A song that is a guilty pleasure: Don't judge me. Ke$ha (shut UP-- you know you sing along. Whores.) N'Sync. 98 Degrees (I seriously can't bring myself to get rid of that cd.. ugh), and the Dawson's Creek soundtrack. Just shut the fuck up- I have a vagina I am totally allowed.
A song that no one would expect you to love: I don't know. But here are some artists in my iTunes that people maybe wouldn't expect: Bob Dylan, System of a Down, Marilyn Manson, Faith Hill, Britney Spears, The Allman Brothers Band, Bonnie Raitt, Ashanti, Cypress Hill, ZZ Top, The Living End, Rancid, Deftones, Tool, etc. My collection is actually pretty schizophrenic. :)

A song that describes you: Oh- there's always a bunch. But one that is always a good stand by is Fiona Apple's "Tymps (Sick In The Head song). It's got some bizarre lyrics but I can always relate. And it's cute and got an upbeat tune. :) I'm also going to go on record that if you don't have her "Extraordinary Machine" cd you need to get it.

A song you used to love but now hate: I wouldn't say hate, but the first 50 cent album I'm kind of over. Maybe someday I'll come back to it.

A song that you hear often on the radio: Jesus- Jason Derulo. DIE DIE DIE. Same with Lady Gaga. Am I the only one that can't stand her? Please- get some plastic surgery. You look like a man and I get that's part of your schtick. But I never liked it and you suck. Oh- and stop ripping off artists and claiming it's original. If "Alejandro" isn't Ace of Base reincarnated then I'm the Pope.
A song that wish you heard on the radio: Let's just say that if I had my own radio show it would actually not suck. I rarely listen to the radio because it's so horrible. The only radio I listened to was Mr. O's show on Mondays but now he's all done with that. SHAME.

A song that you listen to when you're angry: Marilyn Manson's "Angel With Scabbed Wings". Oh-- the good times I've had with that entire album. :)

A song that you listen to when you're happy: I can't help it. Ol' Dirty Bastard's "Shimmy Shimmy Ya". I remember a particularly shameful evening with this song, one boy and my best friend at the time. Ah..memories. :)

A song that you listen to when you're sad: Talk show host - Radiohead. It starts with the words "I want to be someone else or I'll explode" enough said. <---this was Jandy's answer and I agree. Also, Coldplay's "Trouble".

A song that you want to play at your wedding: We played a ton of stuff. Most of which nobody knew but I spent WEEKS coming up with my track by track play list. Even the DJ, after looking at my list, smiled and said, "Yeah- you should be doing this job." :) But one of the highlights was Frank Sinatra's "All The Way". Great song.
A song that you want to play at your funeral: I have no idea. I do know I want it to be a party. No moping around like sad ass pansies. Maybe we should have some Ol' Dirty playing. :) HAHA!

A song that makes you laugh: Elastica's "Stutter". Not because the lyrics are funny but because I remember JAMMING to that in my Sony Discman walking past the house where my crush of um, FOREVER lives. Yes, he still lives there and we now live in the house across the alley. Nice and awkward. He's still adorable. And married. With kids. I swear to you if I wasn't so chicken shit in 9th grade that COULD HAVE BEEN ME.

A song that you can play on an instrument: Nothing. BUT I want to learn piano badly. And I want to play Bella's Lullaby from the Twilight soundtrack. The love I have for that song has NOTHING to do with the movie or books. But it's such a fantastic song that it seriously will make me cry.

A song that you wish you could play: See above. :)
A song from your childhood: I grew up listening to a ton of different music. My mom would have the stereo or cd's on at all times. But when I hear Rolling Stones' "Black Sugar" I think of playing on the floor in our apartment.
Favorite song from this time last year: Oh I have no idea. LOL!! I don't listen to radio like I said- all of my new music comes from cd's I buy on a gut feeling or suggestions from others. So I think this time last year I was really getting into Death Cab for Cutie.

OK- so that was really hard. For doing this in 15 minutes I don't think I gave you a good look into some of my favorite albums or artists. Someday I might. :)
 
So let's end this with a question- what is your favorite song? Who is your favorite artist? And last, but never least- if you could only bring ONE album with you to an island...what would it be?

10 comments:

jprp said...

YAY! So many of your answers were ones i was tossing up with the answers I gave! we would so rock it out on a road trip! man that would be awesome!

thanks for playing along!

now, to the all important questions: I really don't know who my favorite artist is, but I've added a new one to my fav songs, The Painters by Jewel, because thats how I wish my life was :) xx

jprp said...

oh, and the one album, would be "The very best of The Eagles" because its one album I can listen to over and over and over again xx

Krysten @ After 'I Do' said...

Oh gosh that would be a HARD challenge. I always hate music challenges because my song choices change all the time.

To answer your questions:

Right now I'd say my favorite song is "Stop Cryin' Your Heart Out" by Oasis. It made me SOB earlier in the car. Which generally is a bad thing but I think right now crying is the best thing for me.

My favorite artist will always be Christina Aguilera even though I'm a little disappointed in her current album. I just think she's really strong and beautiful and her voice is ridiculous.

The album I would bring is Maroon 5's first album, Songs About Jane. I have listened to that album SO MANY TIMES and I adore it. It never gets old.

Amber said...

Whereas some are challenged by these three questions, to me there is no contest.

Favorite song? "Jane Says" by Jane's Addiction.

Favorite artist? Les Claypool.

One album on a desert island? Stadium Arcadium by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Love this post by the way.

The Insatiable Host said...

Favorit Song (by genre as it's just not a fair question)

Rock/Metal: She Talks to Angels - Black Crows
From my Past there are 3 for great reasons:

1. Congratulations - Travelling Wliburys
2. Fiddler's Green - The Tragically Hip
3. G Thang - Dr.Dre

Hubby/I Wedding Song(S) The Way you Look Tonight - Frank (as were many of his songs played on this night) and Yellow - Coldplay

Man...this is hard I can't tell you my favorite song....maybe Somewhere over the Rainbow or When you're Smiling...

I could go on and on, but I may just steal this idea for a post; whore out your blog on it and enjoy the playlist.

(will be doing this on Monday) Now I must post on the PP!!

xoxo

Chicken said...

I heart you! Music means so much to me, and I loved loved l-o-v-e-d this post.

Annah said...

One album? Jesus Sara you're trying to kill me! I can't pick just one amiga. Favorite song? I love Parque Triana by elbicho. Most beautiful song in the world! I also like Ride by Carey Brothers, A LOT. I think you would too.

Jen said...

Hey Babe, this was way too hard, so I threw together a quick list of some fave songs and albums- maybe you'll find something new that you like? btw, wow, you've heard of the Living End?!
So here's a little list: ""= songs, []= albums
Screaming Trees [Sweet Oblivion] “Dollar Bill”
The Whitlams [Eternal Nightcap] “No Aphrodisiac”
Lily Allen “Not Fair”
Billy Bragg “Levi Stubbs’ Tears”
Crowded House “Better be Home Soon” “Fall at Your Feet” “Into Temptation”
“Weather With You” “Don’t Dream Its Over”
Faith No More [King for a day/ Fool for a Lifetime] album
Depeche Mode “Condemnation” ep
The Cure (Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me) “Just Like Heaven”
Nick Cave “Straight To You” “The Ship Song” The Mercy Seat”
Massive Attack “Protection”
Teenage Fanclub [Bandwagonesque] album
The Damned “New Rose” “Eloise” “Just Can’t be Happy Today” “Love Song” “In Dulce Decorum”
The Mavis’s [ Pink Pills] album
Frenzal Rhomb [A Man’s Not a Camel] album
Oasis [(What’s the Story) Morning Glory?] album
The Verve “Bittersweet Symphony”
Tim Minchin “If I Didn’t Have You” or “Peace Anthem for Palestine”
Powderfinger “These Days” “My Happiness” “Already Gone” “Passenger”
Jen
PS, youtube Tim Minchin if you haven't heard of him, guaranteed surprise ;)

Seesaw said...

Shimmy shimmy ya is definitely weird but SO cool :-) Also love Fiona Apple, Coldplay, Kings of Leon (orgasmic!)and so many more you've mentioned.

Fav song- Name by Goo Goo Dolls
Fav artist- Err, so many! Perhaps John Mayer.
Album on desert island- Greatest hits of the Beach Boys. Because I would need something to keep me happy!

Visit me blog, do! http://seesawupandown.blogspot.com

Jackie said...

I am a Jimmy Buffett fan and it is always nice to run into another one. You, like me, have a wide range of musical interests. So here are my answers to your questions...

Favorite Song: Blank Sheet of Paper by Tim McGraw

Favorite Artist: Tim McGraw and Sugarland

The one album I would bring with me: The Incredible Machine by Sugarland

I am going to also take this challenge.

Visit my blog to read it at http://jax191.blogspot.com/