Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Tale of the Mysterious Door

Folks, I don't know HOW many times I've come on here to talk about something in my house. Seriously. A brief recap (but not all inclusive)

1. The Back Porch
2. The Inside of the Back Porch
3. The Kitchen
4. The Laundry Room
5. The Garage

And that doesn't cover all of the other other rooms each with their own really fun "fixer upper" issues that I didn't sign up for.

Anyways.

For....about two years now we've had a really nice wood door on the front of the house. We were able to get a great deal since it was a display door that wasn't needed so we got it for next to nothing. But it didn't come with a storm door...or for you non-homeowners not knowledgeable of home improvement lingo, is a screen door. Now...I hate screen doors. They scream trailer trash to me, and I just don't like them. And because I have delusions of grandeur...I have visions of the front of my house looking really nice one day. And part of that process would be to have a glass storm door.

Except the fun part that again, my tastes prove to be expensive. And so Matt and I, over the span of two years, have priced these things out, debated, waffled, priced out again, debated again, waffled again, etc. Almost monthly. For two years. So it's never been a topic that has left our conversation roll.

So about a week ago I'm in the garage, which is WORSE than my previous entry, and I see.. a glass door. It's dirty, needs a new handle that's less ghetto..but I see it. It's like I almost heard angels but it was actually the neighbor's dog who might find itself in an unfortunate accident if it doesn't shut up. So I ask Matt on Saturday, "Does that door fit?"

M: "I don't know, I have to measure it."
S: "How long has that been in there??"
M: "Years."
S: *insert WTF face here* "So...what's stopping you from measuring it?"
M: *grumbles* goes outside to measure.

20 minutes later I notice he's playing video games again. I obviously ask if the door was on. He tells me no, it doesn't fit by like a 1/2 inch. And it's because.....

....when he sided the house he framed the door in white steel. It looks really nice. It does. He worked hard on that. But it begs the question:

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT IF YOU KNEW YOU HAD A DOOR IN THE GARAGE WAITING TO BE PUT ON???????

Why? Why would you do this? Is he TRYING to make me insane by 30? Because I have to say- he's doing well. So I said (admittedly, in not so nice words) that he better get his ass out there to take the steel off and put the damn door on there because it'll get broken in the garage. And I don't want to spend $200 on a door if I don't have to. And stop being so god damn lazy about everything!!!

*sigh*

The door is on and it looks great. Matt even admitted it was nice to get it out of the garage because hey- he has more room now! WONDERS!

Monday morning comes and as we're leaving the house Jackson promptly runs right into it and smacks his head hard. He turns at me, totally confused and says, "You be tricking me!" I had to go through a clear door orientation for the kids.

The new issue? The steps aren't big enough. You almost knock yourself over opening the door. Which is the argument I will use as soon as the frost thaws in the spring to get my new front steps on.

See? You see how I turned one accomplished thing into a new project?

Genius at work, folks.

8 comments:

Chicken said...

Glass doors always get me too. I've left face prints on the best of them.

Just Plain Tired said...

Baby steps, it's all about taking baby steps on home renovations. Pretty nice that you had a door in the garage and saved some money that way.

Krysten @ After 'I Do' said...

It's better than when Monte ran into the screen door. Today. For the 3rd time. Lol.

Amber said...

I AM SHOCKED!!! I need to know how the fuck you got him to put that door on! I have had this damned bathroom door in my office for three fucking years now and it is not on yet.

Fuck it, I am going to Home Depot and putting the bitch on myself.

Danielle said...

Yay on the new door!!! I hear ya on how one project leads to another! I cracked up at the fact that Jackson smashed into the door ... I think as part of the tutorial for how to deal with glass doors you should inform him that no matter how old you are there will be times in your life that you will smash into them again! :) I've done this quite a few times ... at the airport running to get my friend, at a restaurant with my bf, coming out of a hotel ... and yeah I was sober! lol

thetitanproject said...

Very organized story indeed sara. I wouldn't go insane before thirty off a door issue. It just doesn't seem like the end of the world.

I would go insane if a unicorn came to my house every month to steal everything in my house and punch my cabinets in the face. Then when I told people, no one would believe me. Then I'd go insane.

Kate Weber said...

LOL That's so funny. And I agree, glass doors are much better than screen doors.

Mrs Midnite said...

Very jealous, I am still short of a nice floor in my hall and living room. DIY is a constant battle!