Monday, February 14, 2011

Hush

Ha! I bet just because I'm sick you would have thought I would have forgotten my book review duties. Oh no, I remembered! (Also as an aside, check out my new award here and come back tomorrow for a link to my guest vlog)

This book is good and I want you to trust me.

Hush by Kate White
Four months after their separation, marketing consultant Lake Warren faces a tough legal battle with her husband, Jack, for custody of their two kids. Though the timing couldn't be worse, she finds herself responding to the flirtations of Dr. Mark Keaton, her handsome colleague at the Advanced Fertility Center. But the morning after their one-night stand, Lake discovers Keaton with his throat slashed.

Afraid of losing her children forever, Lake lies to the police-and begins searching for the truth on her own before she can be charged with the heinous crime. She starts getting hostile treatment from her coworkers, and strange clues start appearing, quite literally, on her doorstep. Soon Lake is pulled dangerously close to the very dark secrets surrounding the slain man and the clinic where they worked. And suddenly the police are not the only ones hunting Lake Warren.

OK. Let me start by telling you that I absolutely COULD NOT put this book down. If you are a fan of the Law & Order shows.. this one is for you. This could easily have been an episode and it was a great thriller. Throughout the book I'm trying to read for clues and was trying to piece it together. Every time I thought that I had it figured out, something else got thrown in and it blew my theory on the crime.

I felt like the characters were easy to relate to- like if this were a real life thing, this was how each character would react. You know how some characters you think, "Oh- you would never say/do that in real life!"? Well I didn't feel that way at all with this book. The stress and the fear that Lake experiences comes through and you feel it with her. And then when everything comes to a head at the end.... it all makes sense. I really thought the author did a fabulous job with not only carrying a thriller but wrapping it up perfectly at the end.

This book is so fantastic and I really think you should read it. In fact, a few of my friends got their own copies as of late because I knew it was something they would love. It's definitely worth the purchase or even a trip to the library!

9 comments:

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Well I have made a note of this book and will see if the local library has it, I only borrow books from the library as there is no way I could afford to buy all the books I like to read. It sounds like something I would like as I love law & order.

Travelin' Mike said...

Ok I'm going to trust you and read this book. Looking forward to it!

Asha said...

I hope you feel better, Sara. Here's something that may (or may not) make your day a little more awesome.
http://ashafullife.blogspot.com/2011/02/i-got-golden-ticket.html

Zoƫ said...

ohhh sounds good. I was almost going to ask to be on the tour for this one but my month was pretty booked as was, looks like a good one to pick up some time in the future!

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

Yep, definitely a good book. My only complaint was that after awhile I just wanted to shake Lake and be like, "And this is what you get for lying and lying and lying." Otherwise it was pretty much awesome.

Unknown said...

Love me some murder thrillers. Hey saw you on CBG and loved the clip. I'm now a fan!

Anonymous said...

I love it when a book is so good that you just have to tell people "Read this. Trust me!" I'm so glad this was that kind of book for you!

Your comparison to Law & Order is great too - it helps me get a better idea of the style of the book.

Thanks for being on this tour.

G said...

great blog - following

trish said...

AH! I LOVE Law & Order! As you know, I already bought this book based on your gushing to me before about it. Can't wait to read it!