Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Why I'm not an interior designer.

So.. I'm looking at my kitchen. Although we have a dining room.... we don't really eat in there for breakfast. Mostly the kids and I stand around in the kitchen clutching our cereal because we're rushing to get out of the house. But not part of me thinks that perhaps I should get bar stools to sit up near the counter. OR.. I could get rid of my microwave cart and then put a counter and tee-dah.. have a bar. For bar stools...to make breakfast easier. Or at least my middle-of-the-night-snack-fest.

In my head this looks and sounds glorious.

But then the stools are a big decision. I need to find some cute ones. So I've been looking on the CSN website for modern bar stools because they have a good selection, they have good customer service and I've always gotten my stuff quickly. I'm super impatient so when I order something I want it the second I click "submit order".

I know from all of my HGTV watching that you should do groups of three.. so that makes the cost go up. But function is worth the price, right?

What do you think? Do you have bar stools in your kitchen? After you put them in did you use them quite a bit or not so much? And then do you think I should have ones that slide under a counter top completely or ones that have a back on them?

My first inclination is to get ones that have no back, slide under the counter, mostly for my OCDness. BUT.. backs are nice. I like backs. I'm not a back hater.

Sometimes being a grown up sucks because I am no good at making these kind of decisions. *sigh*

17 comments:

Jennifer Kay said...

Do the backs so that Jack isn't like laying on the floor every five minutes because he fell off one, plus I'm pretty sure they are cuter.

Submit order now.

middle child said...

We got 2 stools because it's so funny watching the grandkids spin around and fall off of them!

Just be sure to ge the right height. The Hunter has gotten into the habit of eating his breakfast at the counter.

Let us know what you decide.

prettylittlereckless said...

I have a bar type thing in my kitchen where I could use some bar stools, but I'm refraining from this purchase because like you mentioned: cost. I lived in a place back in college rather similar to my current place and we had just 2 bar stools. It seemed to work fine, but you're right- 3 seems better. For me, it's also about practicality. I live alone and yeah it would be nice, but I don't think I'd really use them.

Kate Weber said...

Depends on the size of your kitchen honestly. If you have a smaller kitchen, go for the ones without the backs that slide under the bar. It's a major space saver. But if you have room to spare, definitely get the backs. Much more comfy.

I grew up with bar stools in my house. I loved them. I could sit on them when my mom was cooking and watch her. Or if we had guests, the kids would sit at the counter and so we'd have more seats. So perfect.

Josie said...

BACKS! I remember being little and my parents got rid of the stools with backs and got the backless ones and I didn't eat breakfast for like 3 months because I was afraid to fall off.

The Restaurant Manager said...

I always thought about getting them but we never did. I think we should have. Not sure why we didn't.

Rach said...

I hate no-back stools.
I have a tendency to fall asleep while eating. I did. While sitting on them and rocked the floor so hard, i lost one teeth. I was 6 back then. But i hate them. x(




Bitchzilla on The loose.

Ang said...

Go backless. you can slide them under, which is what you want. Backs are nice, yes, but if they are only serving as a place to pop a squat quickly, then... backs aren't necessary.

You need something kid friendly too, so don't get white or something.

Krysten @ After 'I Do' said...

I LOVE our bar stools. We only have 2 right now although I'm thinking a third is in order. Generally if someone's cooking in the kitchen other people are sitting on them to talk to the person while they cook. And they're also a good height for our kitchen table so if for some reason we need extra chairs we can move the stools over. They're pretty much awesome!

Amber said...

I don't have bar stools, but I love them and love to sit in them. The people I do know who have them love them and use them all the time.

I personally like the ones with the backs.

Kattrina said...

We have two stools for the island in the kitchen and we use them all the time. They have backs because it makes them more comfortable to sit in. We usually eat breakfast there and it's nice. I say go with it!

Organic Meatbag said...

I'm not an inferior deconorator...sorry, I can't help...

Chicken said...

We've been looking for new bar stools for 2 years now. No lie. 2 freaking years. When you find some, feel free to ship them my way.

LynC said...

We have stools with backs and we use them all. the. time. My kids will sit there and talk to me while I cook. Sometimes we put the little DVD player for the car on the counter and make them watch their movies up there. Keeps them off "our" TV.

elaine said...

i have five bar stools with backs. This is where everyone who comes to our house meets.....it is adjacent to our family room...cant imagine life without our breakfast bar

Anna @ The Owl and The Phoenix said...

So, from experience, I suggest you get 4 stools if they will fit. My parents have 3 stools at their house, and we'd always end up eating there and someone was always without a stool. I also think backs are good - much more comfy (although I know what you mean about the OCD) =)

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

No space for a bar or stools in my kitchen but my folks had one when I was a teen & now again in their new house. Stools with backs. Two of them. They have always seemed sufficient even with all 10 family members in the house.