Wednesday, June 8, 2011

It's official. My name is Sara and I'm a coupon addict.

I know I've mentioned my obvious shopping addiction before but I think we have spiraled out of control. And by "we" I mean obviously I have spiraled out of control. So instead of buying trendy jewelry, pants that fit, and bras that hold the girls in, I'm buying toilet paper, hot dogs and deodorant. Because you know, I have priorities.

And my coupon obsession? OVER THE EDGE. A few months ago I would have been ashamed to say it, but I actually have a coupon binder. And a system in the early stages. And ... (I'm almost too embarrassed to say it).... I brought the binder into the store with me. I know. I know you're embarrassed for me but god dammit- it saved my ass on a good deal on toothpaste this evening.

But here is my Walgreens haul from a few weeks ago where I spent just under $5. (FYI- the Butterfinger Snackerz? Are nothing like a real Butterfinger and should be abolished.) (And double FYI, that is FOUR packs of hotdogs. BBQ at the Strand's yo. AND when you get the shits from eating lips and assholes, we have toilet paper!)
 Then the next week I decided to go to Cub Foods in Duluth and try my hand. This was under $25. That's right- you're looking at 15 Gatorades, 3 cases of pop, 2 tubs of ice cream, 2 packs of chicken, cool whip, 2 lunchable sandwich things, 2 boxes of brownies and 2 boxes of salad stuff. And some peanut butter.
 And THEN. Matt made friends with the gas station people near our house so they are giving us all of the Sunday papers they don't sell on Sunday. We have to pick them up first thing Monday morning, but Matt works at 4am and it's two blocks from our house, so that's easy. Those are coupons from 15 inserts people! This past Sunday Matt brought me 52 copies of EACH insert. I know. I kind of wet my pants with happy.
 This past Sunday I spent really researching the Walgreens ad and coupons. I did TWO transactions (I'm up to multiple transactions, peeps!!) and I spent $14 after I used my register rewards and coupons.
This evening I went back to Cub Foods and I got my groceries for the next two weeks. I got a LOT of stuff that ended at $93, but I saved $45. :) OH! And Target yesterday I walked out spending $25 on $67 worth of stuff. I'm not walking out spending pennies, but seriously- with those two transactions, I saved $112 and that my friends? Is a student loan payment. WOO HOO.

I am obsessed and out of control.

But at least I refuse to dumpster dive for coupons. I absolutely draw the line somewhere.

15 comments:

Mom Taxi Julie said...

Wow what a score on the inserts from the gas station!!

I seriously need to get back to couponing. I spent $260 for one week of groceries yesterday.

prettylittlereckless said...

Awesome :) Look at you and your binder! YAY!

____j said...

Good for you! And that's not embarrassing at all. I wish I had the motivation/resources, but as I've said before...our grocery stores around here have crappy coupon policies.

Susan said...

Good for you! This is something I want to try- looks like you were really successful!

Susan said...

Nicely done! I want to try my hand at this. Looks like you were really successful!

middle child said...

Is it true what I heard.....that there will be no more vlogs now that you are a big star on the Extreem Couponers show?

Ruth said...

That is so awesome! Good for you!!!!!!!!

Dana Leigh said...

I can see where it would get obsessive but how can you argue with savings like that? Awesome about the Sunday paper hookup!

Jo-Anne Rambling said...

A person has to save money wherever we can so if using coupons then do so I hope the binder is a pretty colour.

Zoƫ said...

you are so cool! I am actually pretty jealous, it just sucks because I eat gluten-free and that kind of stuff seems to get any coupons or sales. Plus I think my boyfriend would kill me if I tried to do our shopping with a coupon binder. But I am definitely very impressed with your skills!

Shutterbug Mama said...

not going to lie....I'm a little jealous of you.

o0crystal0o said...

Awesome score on the extra papers! Nice work Hubby! Assuming you will end up with many coupons you cant use here is a fun place to find others who could benefit and you can have fun doing more shopping :)

http://www.listia.com/

I havent had much experience with it yet but from first glance it seems really interesting!

Deeds said...

i am there with you lady, binder and all! I wish I had the insert hookup you do though. I'm almost to the point of buying inserts online.

Canadianbloggergirl said...

I saw that episode of dumpster diving....a little too extreme if you ask me!

Good on ya for saving that much money so you can make a student loan payment!

I wish couponing worked the same way in Canada!

CBG
canadianbloggergirl.blogspot.com

Oilfield Trash said...

I know you have, I have seen all those posts on Facebook.