Thursday, August 25, 2011

I have a dream that someday...

... I will have a non ghetto laundry room. I refuse to believe that this is an impossible task. Thousands of Americans are living in their purchased homes with fully functioning laundry rooms with ceilings. I refuse to believe my laundry room will be in squalor forever. If I give up this dream than I will have lost and I refuse to lose the battle over this room. I have fought the good fight for six years now and god dammit, out of sheer principle I refuse to give up.

But let me tell you something- I still don't have a functioning laundry sink. I still have no ceiling. The door that goes to the back porch still doesn't shut or even open some days. I am still missing an entire wall. But the kicker? The kicker was walking into the laundry room on Saturday to see this:

If nothing else is ever said about me when I die, people will be able to say that I am a very patient and forgiving person. I am. I have to believe this because Matt is still alive to show for it.

For weeks I have been complaining about the dryer. At first I thought maybe I'm trying to dry too much at once and that's why things are still kind of damp. I ask Matt and he says yes, that's totally it. OK. So I start doing half loads thinking it's weird because for six years it's worked just fine. Then I notice that even half loads aren't getting totally dry and that I'm having to put them through at least two and sometimes up to four cycles just to get them dry enough to fold them. Again, I ask Matt and he flat out tells me I'm just looking for something to complain about. Which clearly isn't true, because if that was the case I have a plethora of other things I could complain about.

So after my complete bitching about the dryer very much not working he said he'd look at it. It stayed like this for two days before he tells me he believes it's not completely broken just that it needs two cylanoid thingies. Whatever. Apparently, they are $21 (total, each.. nobody knows) and so I'm taking my Etsy shop money and buying them. Because I can't be relying on my mom to dry my laundry or the clothes line forever. It is August which means the warmer temperatures are going to be a fleeting memory soon.

It's just another in a long line of frustrations. I don't think I need to mention that the insulation around the foundation of the house never happened this summer either. I appreciate that we've been busy but I also appreciate he's had plenty of weekends from May until now to at least get one section done. But no. So again this winter I look forward to outrageous heating bills and a freezing cold house. Someone once told me these are my glory years. And I have to think that can't possibly be true.

5 comments:

Jennifer Kay said...

If you want to see ghetto laundry room...I could show you ghetto. Don't make me do it because yours is looking pretty modern compared to my deep dark dungeon basement laundry room. Spider webs all over top of your head, a mouse in the trap every once in a while, a sink that doesn't even work and a bowl underneath it because it leaks when the washer drains into it...do you want me to continue???????

Ruth said...

My dryer started not drying so well when lint built up in the vent.
I need to get one of those attachments for my vacuum that will clean it out. It's doing it again.
My laundry room is on the enclosed back porch of our house.

Mom Taxi Julie said...

I hear you sister!!

Scott had the garage taken apart. I asked him to please plum(b?) the laundry so it drains like it's suppposed to, into the ground, not through a hose, which is getto. He moved the location of the washer and dryer and put in this rediculous window and put a hose through it. So our new garage is always "open" 3 inches for this hose to go outside and drain outside. We can build a WHOLE garage but we can't do this one thing.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

You have a room for your laundry?? I do mine in the hall, where the washer/dryer nook is. On the upside it means I have to put away the laundry because otherwise you can't get around the house at all.

My dryer did the same thing & it took me months to convince DH I wasn't just angling for a new dryer.He kept insisting we 'just bought them' & there should be a warranty to repair them. Except we had bought them in 1996, which is not at all 'just bought' in 2010 & you can't get a warranty for anything for 14 years....

prettylittlereckless said...

LOL.... yeahhhh... you're just looking for something to complain about. funny. Well, I hope someday you have the most glamorous laundry room ever :)