Saturday, September 3, 2011

Domestic Bitch Saturday!

Hello lovely lambwhores! It's time for our Domestic Bitch Saturday and I've been extra busy this weekend.

My recipe to share this week was one I got off of Pinterest and it's a Swedish Baked Potato. I don't like potatoes (shocker) but Matt does and I'm always looking for new but easy versions. This one is SUPER easy. You take an uncooked potato and make slices almost to the bottom but not quite. In a bowl mix some melted butter and garlic, spread onto potato. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then bake at 425 for about 30 minutes or so or until potato is done. Matt said they were delicious and ate all three that I made.
 My other one is what I call my ghetto pork. Mostly because it requires no effort and is yummy. I will either use a pork loin or pork chops depending on what I have. I put some pork gravy on the bottom of my crockpot, put the pork in, top with sliced onions and sliced apples, cover with remaining gravy. I forgot to include Mr. Apple in this picture but he was in there. Cook on low for 8 hours. Delish.
 The other thing I've been doing this week is pretending to Martha fucking Stewart. We get a LOT of vegetables from my inlaws which is really great because they last me usually through the entire winter and saves on having to buy them at the store. The downside is that getting them ready to freeze is a lot of work. Almost more work than I think it's worth sometimes. At least in the moment when I'm faced with this:
 and I spend an hour turning them into these:
 And even worse when two more groceries bags of corn show up. BUT, since this produced 10 family size portions for me, we gave one bag of corn to Matt's coworker on food stamps and I think my friend will take the other. Considering I have 27 bags of green beans in my freezer, I think it's OK for us to share.

My project is the finishing of the canister I made a few weeks ago. It was going to be a teacher's gift for Olivia's teacher and she absolutely loved it. I think this also bumped my name to the top of the list of classroom project helper, but that's OK. The other thing I added was a handmade mini-notebook as seen on the bottom of the pile of goodies.
 And that's what it looks like all in the can.
This would make a really cute neighbor gift, get well soon gift, new mama gift, I mean- you can fit all kinds of cute little things in this canister. And you're lucky because I made an extra and it's available for purchase in my Etsy shop!

I don't have any freebies lined up for you today, but I will tell you that Target has some great makeup and beauty coupons on their website right now and you can get things for almost free or totally free if you can find a manufacturer coupon to stack with it. So even if you don't necessarily need makeup, it's a good stocking stuffer or little thing to include in a bigger gift for a friend, daughter, etc since hello-- Christmas is coming.

Happy Saturday and domestic bitch bliss!

8 comments:

Ruth said...

I have been doing veggies too. I can some and freeze some. Tomorrow my sister is coming over for some pickle making.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Those baked potatoes look delicious!

Mom Taxi Julie said...

The potato sounds really good! Love the little teacher gift :)

____j said...

I've had potatoes like that before, but we call them Hasselback potatoes. So good. I can't believe that you don't like potatoes! Also, seeing all that corn reminds me of the tomato disaster last year :)

Christian said...

That pork recipe sounds fantastic! I'm a huge fan of dishes that incorporate fruit in some way, so that is one I will definitely have to try.

prettylittlereckless said...

Mmmm that potato looks good!

And I don't think I could do the whole corn and canning thing. Just seems too ambitious lol. However, my aunt does a big canning party with her other side of the family and that would be fun :)

Dana said...

OMG, those potatoes sounds sooo good.

FinnyKnits said...

Alright - I'll make these potatoes - but I'm eating one, too!

I'm always amazed by the stuff you hate. It amuses me.

Meanwhile - good going with the corn. We have a giant gallon sized bag of kernels left from last weekend's BBQ and I'm just trying to eat it all before it goes bad because trying to blanch and freeze it is way too much work.

I bow to you, Corn Mistress.