Thursday, September 1, 2011

First day = overwhelmed.

Today was the first day of Kindergarten. Kind of. Today was basically what they call "Smart Start" in Wisconsin and for the younger grades of kids it means your parent(s) come with you on the first day to meet your teacher, fill out forms, organize your supplies, get your school picture taken, get your vision screening done, visit the lunchroom, etc. It ended up being almost an hour and a half of just wandering around the place.

But before we get to that, you probably want to see my baby girl on her first day as a for real Kindergarten student.

 I saw this dress at Target and despite it being $17.99 ... I had to do it. I absolutely had to. And she just looked... so big this morning.

After rushing out of the house with her backpack we had to bring Jackson to my mom's house where he wanted his picture taken with his dog.
 Then after we said goodbye to my mom and Jackson, Olivia and I did our picture together as we always do at the start of something new.
 And I'm not going to lie. I was kind of emotional. When we got to school there was such a flurry of people moving around and papers and it was just a LOT to take in. I was just trying to make sure I understood everything and was clear on policies and where we need to go, etc that I didn't have time to really think about my girl is in school full time now.
She had a super good time meeting her teacher. She was thoroughly impressed that her desk is right next to the doll house and puzzle shelf. She also loved that everything is as clearly labeled and organized at home. Tomorrow is her first day where I drop her off for the entire day. And no lie, I'm incredibly nervous. When she did preschool last year it was half days and I was OK with that. I still felt like I had control over things so while I did tear up a little leaving her there, I was right back in three hours.

This year... she's gone all day. All day, folks. I don't think you really get it until you're there. I know some moms who home school simply because they don't like their child being in the hands of someone you don't know, influenced by kids you haven't hand picked as their friends and having to do things without you and make mistakes along the way. And I'm a firm believer that a child needs that. I don't care what statistics you show me about homeschooling, I am a big believer that you have to let your kid out in that world. That your parenting is put to test when they go out into the world. Will I fail? Maybe. But I think no matter what, Olivia will be OK. And Jackson too when he gets there.

So tomorrow when I drop her off... I'm probably going to cry. I'm going to try not to peep into the windows to make sure she isn't standing in the corner alone. And if she is I'm going to try very hard not to go in and rescue her. I'm going to worry the entire day that her milk money is in her lunch account, that she didn't pee her pants because she's too embarrassed to ask to go to the bathroom, that she really ate her lunch, that she isn't getting bullied but is making friends, and most importantly- that she'll have a good enough time to want to go back.

I only work for four hours tomorrow and maybe that's a good thing because it will force me to get to work on time so I can't loiter in the bushes like a crazy person.

But let's talk about how OVERWHELMED I'm feeling. I'm a highly organized person who enjoys chaos and challenges, but man. I feel really scared about how I'll do. They have an hour of math homework every night in Kindergarten. I signed up to volunteer for anything and everything so we'll see what that means for me. But for those of you who have kids in school- what are good organizational tools to keep it all together? Any resources I should know about? Any help any of you can provide... would be a million times appreciated.

By the way- tomorrow is Dear Sara. Have a question for me? Email me at sarastrand9438(at)hotmail(dot)com!

11 comments:

Ryan Adair said...

AWW! You'll both do great!

Kids didn't start passing out joints until 1st grade down here, so you have another year to not worry too much!

I KID!!!!!!!

Have fun and good luck!

Ryan @ Thismustbetheplaceryan

Lost.in.Idaho said...

As heartbreaking as all this is, it's equally heartbreaking as a daddy who can't be there for my son's first day. He's entering Kindergarten, and 900 miles away. I talk to him and ask him about his day, but I feel like I should have been there...

Sarah said...

Sara-
Lily starts Kindergarten on the 12th and for some reason I feel ok with it and not overwhelmed yet or actually particularly emotional... but she's been in all day preschool for a long time so it isn't too different to me. I feel like I should be more emotional than I am... I'll probably bawl like a baby anyway on the day of though. It always comes out of no where. Anyhoo. I am glad you survived today. Good luck tomorrow. : )

prettylittlereckless said...

TOO CUTE. You need to have more kids, because holy crap your kids are adorable. I LOVE her dress. Her whole outfit is too freaking adorable. She will do GREAT!

And very awesome you signed up to volunteer for things! Look at you school mommy! :)

Ruth said...

It is good to have emails for the teachers and principal. I am sure the school has a website and so does the teacher so you can keep track of what is being learned in school and what events are going on. Some teachers put educational website games on that might be fun and helpful for the kids.
Other than that, marking everything on the calendar.
You are so organized so I am sure you will do great.

Sandra said...

You're a good mommy. Good for you for volunteering. After four kids, I'm so jaded, my advice to you would have been: stay as far away from school activities as you can because they'll suck you into the web of drama...but I guess that's a bit over the top considering it's day 1. Well, your little girl is a doll! And I have a Jackson too...I think I may have said that before. Anyway, hope the second day, and her first FULL day went well. I think the full day system is great. It really allows the children to get in there and get a routine...blah blah blah...have I bored you yet? I'm climbing off the soap box now.

Jo-Anne Rambling said...

Before you know it she will be right at home at school and will be like as soon as she arrives running off to find her friends and not giving mum a second thought.......the first day of school is always hard and not just for the kids and mums but also can be hard for the dads but often dad seems to be forgotten.

Kattrina said...

I am the only person who thinks an hour of math homework in kindergarten is RIDICULOUS!!! What happened to coloring??? Goodness gracious! Anyway, I'm sure you'll pass the parenting test with flying colors and Olivia will do amazing. Good luck though - it's tough to let them go I hear!!!

Dana said...

Aw, you all look so cute. I can't help you on anything parenting-like but good luck with your volunteering and keeping it all organized!

Mom Taxi Julie said...

An hour of math homework after a full day of school? That's a little much for such little kids :( Good luck with that one.

I love that you take a picture with her, try to keep that up over the years, it's super cute! I had to really talk my oldest into letting me take her picture on the first day of school this year!

____j said...

Aww! Growing up fast! I can't even imagine how emotional I will be when Adi gets old enough to go to school.