Saturday, October 22, 2011

Domestic Bitch Saturday- that time my cake class paid off.

I know I promised you the deets on how to make an ice cream cake that is cheaper and more awesome than Dairy Queen. But I will have you know that my springform pan? M.I.A. That bitch is missing in action and the hunt will continue because you know as soon as I buy a $12.99 pan, it will miraculously show up. You don't *need* a springform pan, but because I don't like change when I know something works (at least in this case) you need to wait.

I know. I'm sad too for that means I also, will be without an ice cream cake.

But instead! Yes, instead... I experimented with box cake mixes. I decided that trying to make a homemade recipe is just too time consuming and quite frankly- I think that Pillsbury makes a damn fine box mix. Again- why change what works? Except when it doesn't. Because as much as I love me some box cake mix because it's like $1 and it comes in a wide variety of flavors and even my gas station down the street carries it, that shit is crumbly. Maybe not super crumbly, but it doesn't hold shape well. When you cut it, crumbs. If you get a little too zealous with trimming the top of your cake, crumbs.

I'm not a fan of crumbs.

So in my intense internet research that spanned over 15 minutes and five message boards- I decided I was going to try adding another egg to the mix. Everyone says add an egg. They also say to add a dry pudding mix but I figured fuck that, I'm not going to the store for a box of that. I'm just adding an egg.

So this cupcake? Is my project and my recipe. Basically, add an extra egg. It's amazing, it's delicious, it's perfect. I obviously paired it with my buttercream frosting and put some chocolate on top. Oh, I put some shaved chocolate on top. Because I'm awesome like that. They are so good. If I come back to you on Monday complaining of my fat girl thighs? These will be why. So my cake class is paying off because I'm experimenting and having fun. Yum.

My other project was pulling all of my printed or tabbed in magazine recipes into one binder. Um, it's like angels sing when I go to the cookbook corner in my kitchen. Seriously. How did I wait so long to do that? Stupid. It's so easy and it is a thousand times nicer. Guess what else I did? I made a school binder for Olivia's school stuff. Between her homework, school notes, and PTO I decided I had to get organized otherwise my ass would be handed to me by Mr. Stress. So yeah. I made it.

See folks? I get maybe an hour of spare time a week and I got all of that done. What did YOU do this week??

11 comments:

Shirley said...

Your cupcake looks delicious!! Good job.

Jo-Anne Rambling said...

I have only ever used boxed cake mixes but not the really cheap ones like supermarker brands they are not so nice but other brands are just so yummy........

AmberLaShell said...

I would love to take a cake class. that sounds like so much fun!

MommyRehab said...

Looks great. I make mine with apple sauce. It is really good. Look forward to reading about your icecream cake.

Josie said...

I put a cup of pudding in my cake mix. It takes away the crumble AND makes it nice and moist :)

Kathy S said...

Yim. That looks really good.

thecurseofcurvesinmpls said...

That. Cupcake. Looks. Effing. Awesome. Nice work!

Mom Taxi Julie said...

scan the things you rip out and put them on your pinterest. Even less mess :)

Ruth said...

I have a recipe box and a binder for magazine or printed off recipes. I also stuff all the ones I get in the mail in the pockets. I really need to go through them cause I have way too many.
I have never bought a cake mix, but my mother-in-law adds a teaspoon of lemon extract to her yellow cake mix.

scrapperjen said...

You rock sista! Awesome looking cupcake (I think I drooled on my shirt...).

prettylittlereckless said...

Um, for real- that cupcake looks like something from a fancy bakery and/or something you'd see on Pinterest. YOU ROCK! :) Those cake classes definitely are paying off!