Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving.

I have a confession:

I kind of hate Thanksgiving.

I know. I KNOW. I could practically hear the audible gasps from you all. But let me be clear- it's not because I am not a thankful person or that I don't feel like giving thanks. Because I feel like I give thanks every day for what I have, the people in my life, and the things that make my life as great as it is.

I just am not the type of person who enjoys eating for fun. I also don't like all of the pressure there is to cook some awesome meal everyone walks away raving about. And I don't like doing 27 loads of dishes in one day. It's kind of not awesome. And it makes me less thankful by the number of people in my life because that many people really just result in 27 loads of dishes.

So this year? My family and I are going out. We're going to a mediocre restaurant, we are going to tip well, we will come home and eat dessert, and I will have no dishes because you know my ass bought disposable plates and forks. It might go down as the best Thanksgiving ever.

But before I go and leave you to your own dishes I will leave you with the list of things I am thankful for.

1. My kids. Olivia and Jackson are probably the two best kids in the whole wide world. I am the luckiest person to be able to be their mommy and they make me so happy. Even when they are crabby, or leave messes, or pee their pants, or smear boogers on the couch that I have to scrub off, they make me happy. Just thinking about watching them grow up makes my heart so full of pride because they are so incredible.
 2. My husband. Even though he won't let me get a goat, pony, donkey, or llama- he is still pretty awesome. We can be a really great team when we need to and he is the best dad. I could not have picked a better father for my children, hands down. We also make cute babies (see above). He understands me and he never questions me when I say I need to go out of town for a day or two. He supports me in everything I do, even if it does seem kind of crazy. He works incredibly long hours so we can have such a great life. And I am so proud of us for working through tough times.
3. My parents. I have some of the greatest parents ever. I really do. Sure, we may fight now and again but at the end of the day- I would do anything for them and I know they would for me as well. I am so lucky to have such an amazing mom because she watches my kids while I work and I don't have to worry about their well being. I know my mom would do anything for those kids and that peace of mind is so nice. And my step dad works his ass off to provide for the family and puts himself last all of the time so everyone else can have what they need and want. They have been the best role models for me and I'm grateful.

4. My job. I have a really fantastic job. Where else can you be around books, and education, and new people, and great co-workers and read when it's slow? No where. I am so glad I quit my other job and found this one because it has been such a great experience. I love everyone I work with and I really enjoy going to work every day. I look forward to every single day.

5. My friends. I know I've mentioned I have some great friends. But I really do. I have some of the best group of friends and sometimes when I am with them I just feel happy because I even know them. I love the fact that no matter how much time goes by, all of my friends are still as awesome as ever. I look forward to every time we hang out because I know I will feel recharged and my face will hurt from laughing.

6. My brother. He gets his own category because he is that awesome. I love my little brudder so much and I am so thankful we are as close as we are. He is an amazing uncle and I am so lucky to have a great guy to hang with my kids.

7. Stumpy and Batman. Because even though they eat the toilet paper and drink out of the toilet, and kill all of my plants and scratch the back door, and kick their litter all over the floor and leave tufts of fur all over everything- I love those little bastards.

8. My house. I love my house and that I even have a house. Even though the laundry sink still clogs and overflows, it's freezing in here in the winter, and it is costing us more and more money to maintain every year, I'm happy I have a house. So many people don't and we are fortunate to have it.

I have a lot more to be thankful for, and nobody wants to read the rest of the list. But I do. I am very grateful for all of those people in my life that are positive and awesome. And even the people who are petty, childish and losers for life, because they make me love the positive and awesome people even more. And honestly? I love all of my blog followers, the bloggers I follow, and the really genuinely great people I know through all of this. Because you guys are just really great and I appreciate the time you take to read this blog, to comment, to email me, to send me really great texts and FB messages--- it makes my life that much happier.

So whether you are at home cleaning 27 loads of dishes, being an unhelpful asshole on the couch while someone else does the dishes, or you are say "fuck it all" and going out- I hope you have a great Thanksgiving. I hope you can find the things that make your life worth living and find some joy out of them.

6 comments:

Mom Taxi Julie said...

I am thankful I have a bunch of family and we all do the dishes together on Thanksgiving lol. Actually we switched to paper plates ;)

Alicia C. said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too! (Now I have to go do dirty dish round #19... Should have gotten some Palmolive!)

Shannon said...

I'm not a huge Thanksgiving fan either. Shoving my dysfunctional family into one room to deal with each other? Not fun.

But... you sure do make beautiful babies.

Ruth said...

Usually we just do Thanksgiving with the three of us at home. I cook a big meal, which I love.
This year we went to my mom's and it was nice. We all helped with clean up so it wasn't too bad.
I hope you got to enjoy your day.

Dana said...

Thanksgiving is what you make of it. It's up to you to create your own traditions. Hope you had a good one!

prettylittlereckless said...

You hate thanksgiving!?!?! Ahh I LOVE this time of year! For me it's all about family and I'm definitely lucky to have a family who thinks just the same :)

But it sounds like you have some nice things to be thankful for ;)