Wednesday, November 30, 2011

You know that feeling...

... where you look at objects on your desk and wonder how effective they would be to carve out a chunk of your brain? Or when you really look at the wall and think maybe if you hit your head hard enough on it that maybe it'll relieve some of the pain from a migraine?

No?

Lucky bitches.

Because I suffer from migraines and have since I was around 12 or so, and it really sucks. If you have never had a true migraine you can't ever know how incredibly horrible it is. I am also one of the lucky few who don't even know what a regular headache feels like because I never get them... it's all or nothing up in here and it's really kind of disgusting.

Currently I feel like I am possibly high on Maxalt, the only pain relieving drug I have found, so at least I can see (partially) out of my left eye again but I feel fuzzy from the inside. Feeling fuzzy on the inside isn't as bad as it sounds- I feel like a human pillow pet at this point and that's not so bad.

I have tried vitamins, and they haven't worked. I have tried a few daily preventative medications that haven't worked and the only one left is one that can cause organ failure and/or schizophrenia and quite honestly, when I'm on a multiple day migraine bender like now schizophrenia doesn't seem so bad. I've had all kinds of scans on my head because I am convinced my brain is growing a secret tumor and it'll just show up one day. I have regulated my diet, I monitor my caffeine intake, I have a specific amount of water I know I need to have in a day otherwise I get an instant migraine. And I have to be precise because too much water will give me an instant migraine. I can't even take any kind of Advil or Tylenol regular stuff for anything anymore because I'm somehow resistant to it. I also can't take most pain medication because since having Jackson... I'm resistant to those as well. Which also makes for fun times should I need a medical procedure or even a filling on a tooth because guess what doesn't work? That would be Novocaine, peeps. I'm kind of hard core at this point and I don't like it at all. So I'm sitting here with my horribly expensive Maxalt knowing I can't take another one (technically) for 17.75 hours because you aren't supposed to take more than one in a 24 hour period.... but my head is pounding again and now I feel like I'm going to puke.

Looks like another restless night in the Strand household.

8 comments:

Jennifer Kay said...

And I have to be...

so high I hit publish before I finished my story?

Sads for your bad head my friend.

Lost.in.Idaho said...

I have a friend in Cali who SWEARS to me the only relief he has ever found from migraines has come from marijuana.

I forget, is Wisconsin a green-friendly state? If not, make some friends in Montana and hide it in some cheese...

Shannon said...

I feel you, sister. I had a 5 day migraine two weeks ago that became completely non-responsive to medication. Maxalt used to work for me, now only Imitrex will touch the pain. Sometime the best it can do is just take the bitty edge off, but I'm still left throbbing. I found that alternating between a heating pad on my neck and a cold washcloth over my eyes really help. And to lay in the pitch black, but that's kinda not possible with kids. Feel better soon.

kimberrleigh said...

Oh dear, I understand how this is. Not personally, but my sister suffers from them on occasion and so does my Aunt's girlfriend. I don't believe what I suffer through when I get "headaches" are migraines but they're intense. I did research on my own and they're called "Ice Pick Headaches" which sounds like a horror movie. Sometimes they get so intense, I have to pull over when I'm driving until they go away. It usually only lasts for 3-4 minutes, but I've thrown up a few times from it and once I legit was blind.

I refuse to go to the doctors about it until I get my own health insurance, because if it comes up as a preexisting condition... there ain't no way I'm getting health care. Even under ObamaCare, since genetically I'm faulty.

At least from how you've talked on Facebook and here, it seems as though your family gets it.. and that's good right?

prettylittlereckless said...

What about accupuncture? Would that work? Massage? Honestly, I would try the accupuncture. I've heard good things about it. Worth a shot right?

Ruth said...

That sucks. My husband takes Imitrex for his. I get cluster headaches and also regular headaches that last for days.
Our doctor once said that sticking your hands into ice water helps some people. It works because sometimes it tricks the brain and the blood vessels constrict and that relieves the pain.
I hope you feel better soon.

Just Plain Tired said...

Here's hoping that by now the migraine has gone. I'm always late to the party. ;)

April K. said...

Bummer...sorry. :( Hope you feel better soon!