Sunday, December 4, 2011

The day Christmas threw up on our house.

All over the blogosphere I am seeing posts about people putting their trees up and you know this bitch put hers up on Black Friday. I have always done it on Black Friday for a few reasons. One, I love Christmas and if it were socially acceptable to have the tree up all year I would. Two, I always go shopping on Black Friday and while I have never been physically assaulted or witnessed it, I do see the worst of the worst- people who clearly hate Christmas but yet are out shopping at midnight. Putting up my stuff makes me happy after dealing with these people for 10+ hours.

And as an aside? If you hate Christmas so much? Stop buying gifts. Seriously. If you really hate going out and having to be selfless and think of other people? Just don't go. And if you are one of those people who never know what to get anyone? That may be an indication that you are a selfish person. Just sayin.

*end rant*

This year we cheated and since it was like 40 degrees on Thanksgiving I made Matt go out and put outdoor illumination on the house. I love lights. I love, love, love the tackiness of it all and if my lights prohibits someone else from relaxing in their living room? I love it. I want to be as offensive as I can because I have that much cheer. Sadly, Matt informed me that some of my lights just didn't make it from last year. I am convinced it was sabotage since he hates the outdoor lights and hates Christmas, but you better believe that when shit goes on clearance? I'm stocking up on more. Lighted pigs, flamingos, and the bouncing penguins will be mine. Oh yes, they will be mine.

But there's Matt- trying to fix the icicle lights that go around the peak of our house and stuff.
 And my kids were telling him where stuff needed to go.
 But on Black Friday we put up our tree and it basically looks like Christmas has thrown up in my house. It's everywhere. Except the bathroom and bedrooms- Matt says absolutely not. (But no promises if a Santa toilet seat goes on clearance).

I also have to give props to Matt for sneakily taking pictures of my ass while decorating the tree- because afterwards his response was, "Well I figured you wanted to blog it." That? That right there is how I know he's a keeper.
 So we put up the tree. Our lighted tree from last year died, though it gave us five good years. So I bought this tree for $30 at Target and honestly? I wish it were bigger. I do. Look at all of that space I could have a bigger tree! Maybe they'll go on clearance after Christmas..
 I will do a post about our ornament tradition later, but this is the first year where I have no junky glass bulbs on the tree. Every single ornament on our tree has some meaning behind it and that's my favorite part (so far) of Christmas this year. It's kind of awesome to see almost ten years of memories of Matt and I on this tree. It's also weird to say we've been together ten years in January.
 So after we put the tree up and while I put the rest of the decorations up, the tradition is that we always watch The Grinch Who Stole Christmas and stay up late. The kids were loving it and they are incredibly excited for Christmas this year. And this year Olivia had a TON of questions about Christmas, the Grinch, etc after the movie so that was kind of bittersweet. I feel like I only have another year or two of Santa in her and that makes me kind of sad because I remember the Christmas when she was like 15 months old? She squealed when she saw her fuzzy Elmo chair under the tree and I wish she could be that cute little kid forever.
 But you want to see the outside of the house, right? Here it is... missing 3/4 of it's stuff that mysteriously "broke" in the garage.
I have nothing that blinks. I have a Santa and Snowman tied by their necks to my front porch. It seems completely wrong. We obviously need more in our yard. A lot more.

14 comments:

Oilfield Trash said...

The house looks really good. I would say more but you are a married woman. lol

Shannon said...

Love it! We inherited a bunch of outdoor lights from my parents and were planning to put them up this weekend, but it snowed 8 inches...

Also, you have the cutest kids ever.

middle child said...

That first quick glance at the last pictue....I thought it was a Nativity! Then I saw the blow-up thingies.

Jo-Anne Rambling said...

Looking good I would love to have lights on the outside of my house but hubby is not into Christmas......

I keep saying I am going to buy another big tree but keep putting it off as he keeps complaining about the cost of stuff......yes he is a tight ass...... This year I have under done our home just to make him happy but next year will be different as I am not happy with this underdone look.........

Josie said...

My dad hasn't put up outside decorations for at least 5 years, and we have a pretty decent collection. SO, since we're living with the parents still we pulled everything out and put it up when he wasn't here! It's FANTASTIC. Deer, trees, toy soldiers, the works.

I'm totally jealous of your giant blow up ones, though.

Jennifer Kay said...

I LOVE the icesicle lights and I wish I had some too but Jon is like 4' 5" and even on the tallest ladder he's like a whole human short of getting there.

Oh you just wait sister...as soon as it snows I'm posting pics of the blow up COW I have in my front yard...right now the rain and mud are doing nothing for me.

Stephie @ Our Marriage Adventure said...

This cracked me up because I basically said the same thing last night. It took me awhile to get up the decor, pathetic I know, but man once I put it all up I was like damn Merry barfed up Christmas.

Mine's a Keeper said...

I love it. We have five blow ups, four color changing snowman pops, and lights on the house. Two blow ups got retired, don't have a wreath yet and I love my front yard. My kids (15, 22, 23) are embarrassed to death but it makes me feel cheery. I love the icicle lights but this year we have opted for the very colorful LED ones. Merry Christmas!

prettylittlereckless said...

Gorgeous! I love your house. It's so cute and the Christmas decor just makes it all the more lovely. Great job decorating! Traditions are the best part too. I know the kids will treasure those memories for years to come :)

RandomRambler said...

Seems like a busy Thanksgiving, but your house looks good. I was wondering, though, did you go for the Gobble Gallop or did you decide against it?

Ruth said...

We have lights on the outside of the house, but no decorations up inside yet. We were at my parent's house for opening weekend of deer season and I didn't want to leave the cat unattended with a decorated tree.
We get a new ornament or two every year. It's an eclectic look, but it suits me.
I think your house looks pretty festive.

Just Plain Tired said...

We used to set up the tree right after gorging on Thanksgiving when the kiddies were little. This year I'm not even sure I'll get a tree up since I just got moved back home and there's plenty of other things I've got to spend a few dollars on. But watch out next year!

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Love your outdoor decor!
Wish we had outside decorations but we are so far back from the road that DH's argument is 'no one will see it but us so why bother?"
Of course.
Because we certainly don't need to or deserve to look at christmas lights

Mom Taxi Julie said...

Love it all! Maybe this weekend I'll finish decorating. We only did lights outside one year and they were kind of lame.