Friday, January 13, 2012

Ten. (The one where I get mushy.)

So today is Friday the 13th but it is also the ten year anniversary of Matt and I's first date. Back then, I was fresh off of a break up from my first serious boyfriend and then my regretful rebound. I was working two jobs, full time in college, feeling kind of lost in life, and leery about getting into another relationship.

Matt was single, he had a job, he was going to college, and he worked with my mom at a local hardware store. So I knew who he was, but I didn't really know him.

My mom had been saying for months that I should go out with Matt, he was a nice kid who wasn't... well he wasn't like my first boyfriend. Which, by the way, I was engaged to when I was 17. Probably not the smartest decision, but I eventually got stuff turned around for me.

But Matt asked me out to a movie or something, and so on what I am pretty sure was Sunday, January 13, 2002 he picked me up at my house. We went to the movie rental store and got two movies, Pearl Harbor and The Fast and the Furious. I hated Pearl Harbor and cannot tell you what happened? I do know it was impossibly long. I also know that the house Matt was sharing with two other guys was freezing. To the point where you had to wear your winter jacket inside.

We completely hit it off and things went fairly fast. I knew right away that he was a good guy and that this was going to be long term. We moved into our first apartment in July, we got engaged in October, and were married in 2004, a little over two years after our first date.

Never did I imagine that we'd get married, have babies, make a home, and have such a great life. I'm glad that we've been able to weather the obstacles that have come our way. I'm glad I have such an awesome guy to call my husband.

So here's to our ten years and all that we have in front of us.

7 comments:

Life Love & High Heels said...

Aww :) super cute

Ruth said...

Congrats!
I couldn't even tell you the date my husband and I started to date. End of November is the closest I can get without needing a calendar to figure it out.
And Pearl Harbor was SO bad.

Anonymous said...

Congrats congrats congrats!

Here is to another ten! May the years get better and better from here on out!

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

I met Tim on the 9th June 1983 and it is a date we both remember we went out for pizza and remember that we shared a pizza and we were both very nevous and could hardly eat anything...........lol Congrats to you and Matt I hope you have many more years together.......

Steff said...

Yay, congratulations!!

kimberrleigh said...

Awe yay! Congratulations! <3 I love when people get together in simple ways like that :)

Gini said...

I'm also glad you've weathered the obstacles. Many, many happier years to you ahead!