Wednesday, January 4, 2012

You think you know awesome people? I can prove I do.

So I have to say that I am very lucky to have awesome people in my life. I am. I have also "met" a lot of really legit awesome people via blogging that I feel like I have forged true friendships with. Not all of them I have met but the ones I haven't, they are on my list to visit someday. I am always blown away when I get emails from complete strangers who say they can relate to something I'm going through or have been through, like my writing style or my sassy mouth, or whatever. I love to hear from you by reading your comments or your random emails to me, whatever. It's all really great and I love it.

And this Christmas I was pretty much overwhelmed by packages from some of you. I was going to take pictures of everything and post them.. but I can't find my camera at this exact moment. I will say that my handmade purse from Finny is amazing. I get compliments on it EVERY DAY and it's perfect. It's probably the most perfect bag I have ever had. It's funky, it's a yellow/gray color combo I would never normally pick up but now I love, it fits my cell phone perfectly, and I can cram a lot of absolute shit I feel like I need to carry every day. It's amazing.

Then I got one package full of handmade bows from Jamie one week and a few weeks later I got a kick ass bracelet and a bunch of stuff for my kids. Now, the fact that she took time out of her busy new mom life AND spent money out of her tight new mom budget to send something to my kids and I? Truly touched. It makes me wish I lived closer to her so I could squeeze her guts out.

A few weeks ago I sent my blog buddy Amber a key chain that I absolutely HAD to get her. I had to it. It was a knitted cat butt key chain. If you don't think that's amazing and unique? You are a loser. But I saw it and knew it had to be hers so I got it. It wasn't a lot, but it was something that made me think of her and she loved it. Last year she went to a scrapbook convention and sent me a HUGE BOX absolutely full of scrapbook supplies. Full of it. I mean, I had a hard time getting it all out because it was so full. It was amazing because I don't have a local store anymore (except Michaels, but it's just not the same) and I was sad. This year? I got another box just as full. I am so thankful and grateful and humbled that someone else out in the world thinks of me and does something like that. It's kind of amazing. And I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty much like a little kid digging through it all and squealing- Matt basically said it sounds like a farm in the dining room with all of my squeals.

So the year of 2012 is going to be my random act of kindness year. I like doing RAOK's anyways but I think maybe I'm not doing enough. I want to do more. It might just be paying for the asshole behind me at McDonald's, it might be helping someone carry their groceries out, it might be random notes and stuff to people during the year. Who knows. But I think not enough people do that and when I think about how it makes me feel to be the recipient of one, it makes me think I'd probably feel even better being the person to do it. So here we go.

Give me some ideas on really cool Random Acts of Kindness.

9 comments:

Ruth said...

Maybe when you get groceries, buy an extra can/box or two and drop off at the food pantry.
Several years back when times were really bad, people from the local food pantry just brought us food. I don't know how we got put on that list. But, it was so nice and helpful.

Amy said...

When you get on a "clean out the closet spree" for either you and Matt or for the kids, donate the clothing to your local emergency shelter instead of a place like Goodwill. Emergency shelters give away (for free) stuff to families who experience a tragedy or are in dire straights. Those other places charge for clothing. I know it's not much, but some people simply cannot afford it sometimes. It is good to know that someone who is actually in need will have some nice clothing.

Shannon McHale said...

I totally agree. Sometimes I am blown away by peoples kindness, and I feel like I am not doing enough in return. Here's to being kick ass and kind ladies in 2012!

Gini said...

Year of RAOKs is an awesome idea! And really, I think it makes your day significantly better when you do something selfless. IDEAS:
I'm a fan of leaving notes. Maybe tape an encouraging note underneath a table in a coffee shop. In snowy conditions, stick a note under a windshield wiper thanking the driver for parking responsibly and not like a complete asshat. I also like to compliment parents when their kids are being well-behaved.

Amber said...

Sara, I am just so glad that you love Scrapbooking as much as I do, and it sucks that a) you live like 1000 miles away (not really, but it might as well be) and b) that you have shitty craft stores there.

No one should go without a cool Scrapbooking store.

I have plenty and am always happy to share.

Luffs ya!!!

FinnyKnits said...

Postcard attack!

A few years ago when a good of mine was going through a rough time and feeling the distance between her and her close friends (she'd moved overseas), two of us State-side girls decided to go get (or make) a bunch of postcards, write out notes on each one and start alternating sending them, one per day, until they'd all been sent. That way she'd get a note everyday alternating between the two of us, for weeks.

Sure, you could also do this with email, but she said that she started looking forward to the mail every day to see what postcard would be there and it gave her a guaranteed bright spot in her day when everything else seemed shitty.

And she loved it.

Also, I'm so super glad that you like the purse. FYI: My sister designed and printed that fabric, so it's a double whammy of Finny Family Fabulousness, so there. :)

Alicia Crenshaw said...

Last year, as I was just starting to blog, I joined in Code Name: Mama's March of Kindness. Basically, it was designed to get participants to do at least one RAOK per day for the month of March. I loved it and kept it up the rest of the year. Here is a list on her blog of some ideas that got me started: http://codenamemama.com/2011/02/28/155-ideas/ They are RAOK's for friends, family, yourself (because we tend to neglect ourselves!), and strangers. Once you get going, you'll find you're performing RAOK's without even realizing it! (Psst! You can also check out my blog and search March of Kindness for the stuff I did and wrote about.)

Alicia Crenshaw said...

Oh, and wonderful plan! Forgot to mention that. I just love this post <3

Eileen Ward said...

Every DAY I am blown away by the blessings in my life. I think my husband has to have the biggest ego with me fawning over his awesomeness. May I never get caught up in the small stuff, and remember my blessings.

If you have concrete ideas on stuff to do, I would love to get involved. I think I am going to start making baby hats for the NICU unit, and I'm going next week to the food bank. I realized that since I'm not working, I need to volunteer at least one day a week...