Friday, February 24, 2012

Dear Sara... oh we're back!

I swear, one of these days I'll get my life even more organized and be so consistent with these posts you'll pee yourselves. Until then, deal with what you get.

1. What inspires you? Hmm.. I guess it depends. If it's what inspires me to get out of bed? Definitely my kids and making their world amazing. If it's weight loss, it would be knowing I don't like feeling my stomach jiggle, so I try to combat that.

2. What is your favorite recipe? Hands down what I could eat every day because I love it so is spaghetti. I freaking love spaghetti and would eat it every day if it meant that I wouldn't become a beached whale. But baring that, I like making things that are ridiculously easy.

3. How are you? I'm good. I have a whole post about this coming up soon and how it pertains to my 30/30 list. Which, yeah. We'll talk about it.

4. What are your top 5 favorite albums of all time? To make me narrow down is kind of cruel. But I'm going to go off the top of my head and rattle of some that every person should own. Because I say so, obviously.

  • Death Cab for Cutie, Plans. Hands down my most listened to album on my iPod while I walk/run outside. Lyrically the entire album is so spot on and triggers memories and feelings from so many different points in my life that I can't even describe to you. I saw them in concert last year and to say it was a religious experience is an understatement. 
  • The Smashing Pumpkins, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. Want to talk about an album that changed my life? An album that was the basis for every teenage angst I ever had in high school? An album that reminds me to my dear friend Allena whom I adore and miss a ton? This would be it. I know every song, every riff, every lyric, every single thing about this album. 
  • Radiohead, The Bends. I'm not a huge Radiohead fan and pretty much everything after this record doesn't turn my crank a whole bunch, but this album reminds me of college. I went through a really rough break up in college, literally months before I started dating Matt, and this was the soundtrack to it. 
  • Manchester Orchestra, Mean Everything to Nothing. If you haven't heard of Manchester Orchestra, you are so grossly missing out you should be ashamed of yourself. This is a fantastic band and this album is probably the second most played in my massive collection. 
  • Kings of Leon, Because of the Times. When I saw them play in Chicago back in 2010 it was probably the best concert experience of my life. It was night, outdoors, and pouring rain. This is one of my very favorite bands and singing along to the song "Fans" was an out of body experience. If you don't buy any other Kings of Leon album ever, please buy this one. Their newest album Come Around Sundown is my second favorite in their discography because the overall sound mirrors that of Because of the Times.
5. What is your favorite book? You read so much that I'm curious to know what your all time favorite is? Oh, I can't choose. I'm going to absolutely bitch out on this one and not name a favorite. But here are some books you need to read in your lifetime (otherwise known as the books I tell people to read when they ask me what they should read next):
6. Do you think schools should teach sex education or an abstinence only program? I think you should promote waiting to have sex until your ready, and every body's definition of that is different. But I think they should also teach kids about safe sex, the consequences of practicing unsafe sex, and give a run down of STD's, contraceptive options, etc. I think parents need to talk about this at home as well, don't get me wrong, but what if parents aren't doing that? I think it is better that we educate teens about all of this in case they don't get the information at home. If they get it from both places, great, but if not at least they will be armed with information to make informed decisions. 

OK! That's it for this week's Dear Sara post. Do you have a question for me? Send me an email: sarastrand9438(at)hotmail(dot)com. Thanks!

5 comments:

Ruth said...

I have that Smashing Pumpkins album. My brother-in-law gave it to us, because he didn't like it. Can you imagine? I really think something is wrong with him.

Jo-Anne's Rambling said...

Would you mind if I borrow a couple of these questions to use as blog posts?

Love your answers helps us learn a little more about.......

Nikolett said...

You're making me want to listen to Smashing Pumpkins while eating spaghetti haha. MUSE has definitely got to be on my top fave albums, though I don't know which one to pick. And thank you for the book recommendations!

G said...

Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead and Kings of Leon...my god you have perfect taste in music

Al Penwasser said...

Over from Jo-Anne's blog. I agree with you completely on your views whether sex education should be taught in the school. Streetcorners have become much more dangerous since I was a kid.
Rats! Now I have to think of something original for Jo-Anne's Ramblings.