Monday, February 20, 2012

Me & My Guy

So I told you that Olivia was going to the Me & My Guy Dance with her dad for Girl Scouts... that happened on Friday. I wanted to share some pictures with you because she is gorgeous and I'm a proud mommy.

Anyways. About a month ago I went shopping with Olivia and my mom and I found her this gorgeous purple dress from JCPenney for only $30. Then I was able to find a little cardigan with pearls to match so she wouldn't freeze. I ordered her a corsage ($32?!?!?!?!?) because everyone told me these dances are kind of like little girl prom- you have to go all out. I also called every salon in town to see how much it would cost to get her hair done because I am curling iron stupid. I can't operate a curling iron to save my life and it would have resulted in an emergency room burn visit. Trust. Luckily, I found one place willing to charge me $16 versus the $35 everywhere else, so Friday after school Jackson and I sat in a salon watching Olivia get her hair done. And it was worth the $16 plus tip because this lady knew how to use a curling iron.

 So then I got her all dolled up in a little makeup...
 Is she gorgeous? Take that you stupid pageant moms! Little girls don't have to look like crazed hookers to be pretty.
 And of course I had to get my picture with her. It's so weird to see how big she's getting already.
 And Matt wore his funeral clothes since we had nothing else. Thankfully, he looks good dressed up and I tell him he should do it more often but he says no.
 And she looks tiny compared to him! But Matt is only like 5'10, he's not this ginormous guy.

OK. So then they left to go to the dance. It was a "no moms allowed" event, but Matt tells me there were moms there taking pictures from the door. You know I wanted to be that mom, so it's probably best Matt didn't tell me until after they came home. Apparently, Olivia absolutely did NOT want to dance with Matt. He said he asked her a lot but she said she was too embarrassed. Which, honestly? Is kind of freaking adorable.

But to my absolute delight she danced with girls from her troop! Matt said she looked kind of worried when she didn't see anyone right away, but then she saw the other Olivia (there's two of them in the troop and the other Olivia's mom is AMAZING. She has helped me so much with Girl Scouts and basically rocks my socks.) and then the troop leader's daughter Grace.
 I am so glad that Matt had enough sense to get some cute pictures of Olivia and the girls because you know I'm totally doing a Girl Scout scrapbook.
 Plus, it's so fun to see Olivia's personality come out with her friends. It's stuff like this that I'm going to look back on and totally smile. I have really great kids.
 The dance got done at 8:30 and Matt actually stuck it out, in a small room full of people, the entire time. I was so impressed that he did that and didn't try to con her out of leaving early. At the end of the night she got her first "event" badge and was SO excited. I seriously have to learn how to sew so I can get her badges on her vest. My mom did the iron on ones for me, but not everything is iron on. *sigh*

So all in all? She had a great time. She said she felt like a princess and really loved going to the ball. Yes, she actually called it a royal ball. Um, melt your heart much? I paid for photographer pictures too but I have no idea when we get those back- I hope they turned out cute. I really hope that her continuing with Girl Scouts she'll kind of come out of her shell a little more. It's OK to be shy but she can be almost painfully shy, so I really hope this helps her open up and have a good time. Plus, I think her having Girl Scouts and now her dance class as her own thing will help too.

14 comments:

Life Love & High Heels said...

Get this stuff called stitch witchery. It's to hem clothes without sewing. It would totally work for those patches.

Olivia is adorable!

Carrie said...

She is about the cutest thing I've ever seen!! So sweet!

Jandy xx said...

is it actually possible for someone to be that adorable?!!!

Jo-Anne's Rambling said...

Oh my doesn't she look gorgeous and I love the purple dress and yeah I agree little girls look prettier if they are not done up like a hooker.....

I also can not use a curling iron and every time I think of a curling iron I have flash backs to when Kathy got one tangled in her hair and we had to cut her hair to untangled it

Mom Taxi Julie said...

She is so sweet!

I used to sew patches on for people in our troop for $1 each, it was quite profitable ;)

Anna @ The Owl and The Phoenix said...

So sweet <3

middle child said...

Gotta ask. She got a Girl Scout badge for going to this dance? (and yes - I am old)

Catherine said...

Aw. So cute! What a great idea!

Jennifer Kay said...

I love the JCP dress and I'm thinking it will double as an Easter dress? I like that they called it the Me & My Guy dance instead of the Daddy/Daughter cuz there are lots of little girls who don't have a daddy these days.

Go Matt for taking some dance pics, I would have totally been breathing on a window to see inside.

Ang said...

Super Cute!

Shannon @ Bungalow960 said...

What a gorgeous child. She looks just like you!

Eileen Ward said...

omg she's so beautiful!!! I love it! btw, I was going to suggest the iron on stuff too.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

She looks so adorable! It's things like this that make me mourn my lack of daughters.
Cub Scouts don't do Mom & Me dances.

____j said...

Oh my goodness! She is so precious! I'm looking forward to the day that Adelei starts doing stuff like this. SO sweet!