Wednesday, March 7, 2012

How I plan to celebrate, because you're going to wish you were my friend in real life.

One of my most favorite mini road trips is to Chicago. I have been there three times before and I have had an amazing time every time and I love the city. I love the hustle and bustle, I love the crowds, I love the energy of being around so many people and I love the old-ness of it. The city itself has such a personality that if you've never been there you absolutely should.

My favorite trip to the city was my first one, which happened to be the weekend of St. Patrick's Day. If you don't know, the city dyes the river green. Like, BRIGHT green, and I got to see it that one time and we ended up rushing through before we had to go home. I'm not Irish and I've never really cared about St. Patrick's Day but from that year on I've just loved it and every year I wish I could go back.

So this year? I'm going back. My friends Amy, Emily and Tammy are coming with me for a girls weekend in Chicago from March 16-18. I am SO excited and I can't even really tell you how excited I am but I basically feel like I am going to burst with excitement! The plan is to leave really early on Friday, pick up Amy, and then we'll head to Chicago. It's about nine hours of driving time from my town to Amy and then to Chicago, so we'll be kind of pooped out? So Friday night is going to be us eating at an authentic pizzeria and maybe walking a bit in the Chicago evening.

Then Saturday? We get to see the river! The best part of this is that our hotel is actually right on the river, so though they don't dye it until 10:45 a.m., we'll be able to see it all day and into the night. Which I'm excited about! We'll walk around and do all kinds of touristy things in the downtown area but what I'm super excited about? The trolley ride! We are going to go on a trolley ride that last like almost three hours through the entire downtown area and we can hop on/off when we want to and just learn about the city and how it came to be. I am hoping to get some great pictures too.

Then we come home on Sunday, but I think it'll be a great weekend. I am so excited to spend my birthday with my friends and have a good time. But don't think my family is left out! I get to celebrate on Friday with my parents, brother, husband and kids at dinner. I'm super excited about that because I don't think we've ever done that? Then, my parents are taking the kids overnight on Friday so Matt and I can have a little date night and I'm hoping to convince him to see a movie with me. :) He has to work on Saturday, my actual birthday, so I think I might go and find a cute outfit for my Chicago trip as my birthday present to myself. Then, I get to have dinner at my parents house and there is rumor of a cake. Which, you all know I love me some baked goods, so I am going to do my duty and eat an honorable amount of it.

I am saying goodbye to my 20's and hello to my 30's in the best way possible. And I am even more grateful to have friends who were willing to shell out money for a girls weekend to help me celebrate! I have, hands down, some of the best friends around.

5 comments:

Jenna said...

I am ashamed to say that as an Iowa resident I have never even been to Chicago. How horrible is that?!

The river dyed green sounds AMAZING!! How great that your hotel room will be overlooking it!

Have a great birthday weekend!

Life Love & High Heels said...

haha I saw your post title and was like I AM YOUR FRIEND IN REAL LIFE!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

We're going to ROCK Chicago! I'm pumped! And heck yes, we are going to record every awesome moment via picture!

Whoohoo! Happy 30th!

Ryan Adair said...

I lived in chi for 3.5 years--- I love love love that city! I must return! My favorite lunch place is the deli below the Hancock building ;)

So much awesome food there! Now im hungry.

Have fun!

Eileen Ward said...

Like! I grew up in Indiana, 3 hrs from Chi-town and going there was a biiiig deal. I loved it and hell, still do. It's definitely a favorite over NYC. I never liked how crowded and claustrophobic Manhattan is. But Chicago is different. Have a great time :)

Shannon @ Bungalow960 said...

I am so jeal. I LOVE Chicago. I think Andy and I are going to go sometime this summer. It's a bit of a drive for us... around 8-10 hours, but so worth it!