Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Why I have to clear out some peeps.

It has come to my attention that it's time to clear out some people from my Facebook and blog roll. Every time it comes around to elections I think I need to delete people. This year is obviously no different with a pretty contentious Presidential race coming up, not to mention all of the state seats that are up for change doesn't help either. But here's where we get real, peeps.

I'm a Democrat. Love it, hate it, I don't give a shit. I believe that you should have to work hard for what you have, and help those who are less fortunate. I don't believe in handouts for people who are too lazy to help themselves or even the ones who are smart enough to outsmart the system. There is nothing that grinds my gears than seeing someone use their food stamps but then get into a Hummer. Honestly- it makes me want to slash their tires.

I am so frustrated with all of the coverage about these stupid Republican primaries. It's not that I vote solely Democratic, I'm open to new ideas and new opinions because if someone has a really great idea- let's hear it. What I have a problem with is people trying to run a country based out of a book that could very well be fiction. I know a lot of people believe in God and read the Bible and try to live their lives based on the word. While I don't fully understand that, I respect that every person has a right to their beliefs. And good for you because we all need something to cling to in bad times. But not everybody in this country believes in Christianity and so it isn't fair to govern their lives by something they don't believe in. Imagine the uproar if the majority of the country was... Atheist and they tried to remove every church. It'd be a damn riot out in the streets.

Then when you have people trying to take away women's rights? Don't get me started. No middle age church going man has any right to tell me whether or not I can take birth control. My favorite thing is when people try to limit abortion rights. Can I be frank? It's not a decision I would chose for myself, but I don't think it's right to make that choice for everyone. I can see both the pro and cons of abortion rights, but I don't feel like we as a society should be making the ultimate decision either way. Instead, let's educate women about their options, try to help guide them along the way and be supportive instead of judgmental?

Let's move to education. How, by any standards, does it make sense to EVER cut funding to education? It doesn't. If we ever want to move forward as a country we need to make children and education an absolute priority. Teacher salaries should be dependent on how well they teach. If you aren't a very good teacher and you have lots of kids not passing or grasping basic concepts- maybe this isn't the career for you. Instead of putting so much money into bullshit things such as out of sight salaries for Congressmen and women, how about we put some of that into the education of our country's youth?

Speaking of salaries? Why is it that if you serve in the Senate or House, you continue to get a salary long after you are gone? What the hell bullshit is that? How much money would we save annually if we stopped doing that?

I just lose respect for people who speak on things and have never experienced what it's like to live off of Ritz crackers for a week. Or worry that you can't buy formula for your baby. If you have never struggled to pay your basic living expenses from week to week then you have no right to tell me how to be more frugal and listen to politicians who are millionaires.

If you are a millionaire? I'm happy for you. Really, that must just be super fabulous and awesome. I bet you even have a pony. But I invite you to live a week in a regular person's life for a month and see what it's like to grocery shop crossing your fingers your debit card isn't denied.

Do I think Obama is the best thing ever? No. But I also think he doesn't get a fair chance. Does he have the best ideas ever? No. But let's compromise and work together. We expect children to work together on the playground or in the sandbox, yet we as adults aren't able to model that behavior. Doesn't that seem a bit strange? So how about when the leading party or the President brings an idea of action to the table, instead of jumping on it and going on FoxNews about how it's shit, how about you say, "Golly gee- I don't know if xyz will work, but what if we add this to it?" COMPROMISE. I think neither party wants to really compromise because what would we talk about on the news? How boring it would be.

So... goodbye crazy Bible banging preacher people. I can't do it. I ignore what I can but when some of you are just down right disrespectful and lump all us Democrats into the freebie gathering, hand out activists? It just makes you look ignorant. Open your eyes to those who are less fortunate. If you have the wealth, share it. Because really- doesn't Jesus encourage you to help your neighbor and be kind to others?

15 comments:

Dianne R. said...

I am there with you lady. I believe everyone has their right to believe what they believe, vote how they want to vote. But I am at a point that if people get online and talk about voting for certain folks, i have to delete them. if you believe in some of these folks who are just, horrible folks, i can't be your friend.
so they can vote for whoever, but i don't have to read their status updates. yay for the delete button!

I feel like I am on a deserted island, being a pro choice, liberal southerner.

Shannon @ Bungalow960 said...

I kept nodding my head while reading this (Andy asked me what the eff I was doing, haha) and only have been able to come up with one word that describes how I feel about this. AMEN.

Ps. This is why I love you and think we would be besties in real life.

Carrie said...

Amen, sister!!! I swear you and I are twins!! And p.s. I got your email back and I promise I will respond soon. I have been remodeling my kitchen (yes, I...) since Saturday...this shit is getting old and im so over it!!

Ruth said...

I'm an Independent. Politics and religion are the two great dividers and the division gets worse and worse all the time. Some of the nation's founding fathers were atheists, but many people would prefer not to know that.

Whiskeymarie said...

Amen, lady. (And that amen is from a liberal athiest, to boot.)
I'm actually deleting a bunch of these folks you've mentioned, but also a few who think that spewing truly hateful and over-generalized blanket statements about people they feel aren't "liberal enough" is ok because they're liberal themselves. NOTHING is good enough for them, and I'm so sick of them stirring the crazy pot. Done.

Josie said...

I agree with everything that you just said. I still don't identify with a specific party. I just don't feel yet like I'm educated enough on all of it to lump me in anywhere yet.

Life Love & High Heels said...

Ahhhh this is why I hate politics. The ONLY time I didn't hate it was when I was taking a politics class in college and was INFORMED about ALL SIDES of the issue. However, I spent a lot of time researching issues and that is not something most people are willing to do. I'm in complete agreement that everyone is able to have their own opinion and the freedom to express it, but yeah- when it comes to just being preachy about it and you haven't looked at all sides- bye. If I can punch holes in your argument without trying too hard- you've got issues, because I don't even pay attention to politics.

Another thought- stop blaming the president. There is only so much he can do and most of the shit goes through congress first. You don't like what's going on in the country? STOP VOTING DUMBASS CONGRESSMEN IN. Congress is fucking ridiculous. I don't think they really represent what people want. It's all about the "hot" issue at the moment. They get voted in because they promise shit and that's all people care about, but once in their positions- who reallllly follows how they vote? Exactly. So I think they get away with more than should be allowed.

I'm moving to England. Long live the Queen.

mkay... stepping off my soapbox.

Ashley said...

I had to remove someone from my Facebook at the last (Canadian Federal) election because every single time she posted - several times a day - it was about her trying to rally support for a certain political party. Could. Not. Handle. It. It was nothing against the party, really, as I'd voted for them in the past...but....people just get stupid.

Mom Taxi Julie said...

If I could only unsub from my husbands rantings too ;)

Seriously he's all going on about how we shouldn't pay for bc and I'm like do you remember when we met and I went to planned parenthood and got that bag of condoms and birth control pills?? Then he says he doesn't want to talk about it. Yeah politics are FUN in our house :)

Ashley said...

Hell yeah, woman! I completely agree with you. (Most) Republicans just irritate the piss out of me.

Gini said...

WORD. I was feeling apathetic and meh about the upcoming election, but recent events are very quickly firing me up.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

I block certain people on both sides during the elections. Blindly posted rhetoric full of sweeping generalizations is irritating to read no matter which side you are on and as a moderate Independent I have more opportunities than most to be irritated. I stopped thinking in terms of "who do I want to have elected?" 20 years ago. Since then I think of it as "who do I want to hear being bashed for the next 4 years?"

MoonRae said...

~Bravo~

Eileen Ward said...

I love this...oh so love it. I think I may have to post this as a peudo guest blog since I don't have time TO actually blog right now!

Tales from a Misfit Housewife said...

So well said! I agree with you on so many levels. I'm glad I made the cut since I only have a few followers :)!! haha. Happy Birthday chicka!