Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Thirteen

Are you in the mood for a creepy and great book?

The Thirteen by Susie Moloney


Haven Woods is suburban heaven, a great place to raise a family. It’s close to the city, quiet, with great schools and its own hospital right up the road. Property values are climbing, and the crime rate is practically nonexistent.
Paula Wittmore hasn’t been back to Haven Woods since she left as a disgraced teenager. Now she’s returning to care for her suddenly ailing mother, and she’s bringing her daughter and a pile of emotional baggage. She’s also bringing, unknowingly, the last chance for her mother’s closest frenemies . . . twelve women bound together by a powerful secret that requires the sacrifice of a thirteenth.
OK, so this books starts off immediately with a fairly gruesome suicide of a seemingly nice, older woman. You think she's grief stricken over the loss of her husband but no. It turns out she is kind of rebelling against the witch coven she belongs to. Basically, every woman had to make a major sacrifice (the death of a husband, child, etc) and in turn, they are rewarded with beauty and success. Sounds kind of messed up, but hey- who am I to judge? 
I really liked this book, it sucked me in fast and every character has their own of weirdness and the story is good. Honestly, I know it's supposed to be kind of spooky and supernatural, parts of it were sad. I mean, to think a person would take success and beauty instead of a loved one. It's an interesting take on witches and this is only my second book dealing with witches but I really like them and it's an interesting subject to read. 
I will say that probably my only complaint, OK one of them, is that there are so many characters to keep track of. The author switches characters from chapter to chapter and a few times I had to stop and think back about the last time this character had a voice and so, reading this before bed was more challenging than I wanted. I also kind of didn't love Paula, the main character who has come back to Haven Woods. I didn't flat out hate her, but she's one of those really narrow minded characters who don't do well in life and can't figure out that it's because they continually make bad choices. You can deal with it, but you still want to slap her up sometimes. 
Overall? It's a good book if you want to be sucked in immediately and be held there. Susie has a website that you can visit HERE. Also see what other bloggers had to say about this book HERE
View tlc tour host.png in slide show

3 comments:

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

It sounds to creepy for me I an not a fan of such books but a good review anyway

Chubby Singson said...

I'm not into books about witches but your post made it a bit interesting.

i don't like novels with too many characters in it though. Just like you said, its hard to keep track of them all.

i usually do the same thing, i would stop and think about the character that was mentioned in the previous chapters and try to remember his significance in the story.

sometimes, i would flip the pages back just to recall.

: )

trish said...

I have a hard time with lots of characters until I get into a groove. Then I totally love it.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one!