Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Just call me Natasha.

It's absolutely no mystery that I am not the pinnacle for fashion or style. I am not the girl you want with you when it comes to making serious decisions on what you will look like in a particular outfit or hair cut.

I am not your girl.

A few weeks ago I qualified to try a free box of Clairol's non permanent Nice & Easy hair dye. Another little fun fact about me is that when it comes to beauty I'm actually kind of cheap. I really hate paying $90 + tip for  hair color that is high maintenance. The whole having to get your roots touched up is really annoying so if I get my hair done at a salon it's a big deal and probably only because someone got me a gift certificate and I feel morally obliged to use it.

So I decided that I really liked when I dyed my hair a darker color so I would go a little darker than my natural color. Not much... just a little. So I chose the "117D Natural Medium Cool Brown" because I figured this would be good. Not black, but a change.

Then I enlisted my super awesome sister in law Kate to do it because A) she dyes her hair with a wide spectrum of rainbow colors weekly and B) I'm afraid I'll mess it up and then crying. Lots of crying would ensue.

Here's a fun fact: one box is just barely enough to do my hair. The joys of having medium length, forest thick hair means that in the future we will need two boxes. Poor Kate was shoving her finger in the bottle trying to get out every last bit so I wouldn't have a random brown patch in the back of my head. Not that I would have noticed, mind you. I would have trusted her and looked like an idiot without even knowing it.

But here are my results:
And I am not lying when I say no less than four people told me that I look like a Russian hooker when I had my work clothes and red lipstick on. Seriously. I look like a Russian hooker. But I kind of like it. And besides looking like a Russian hooker, I did get a lot of compliments and one person told me I should stay with dark hair. I'm pretty sure that was meant as a compliment more than a dig at my natural mousy brown.

Overall? I liked this hair color better than the Garnier stuff I had been using even though I'm a Garnier fan. This was a three step process and came with a special conditioner to use in replacement of your regular conditioner. And the best part was that your head didn't reek of ammonia like it does with other at home hair dyes. Yeah for being relatively fume free! So I think you should all try it and we can be Russian hookers together. Safety in numbers and all that. 

8 comments:

Jandy xx said...

you make one hell of a good looking russian hooker if you ask me!

Jandy xx said...

you make one hell of a good looking russian hooker if you ask me!

Lin said...

I'm not gonna lie to you hon, the Russian hooker look suits you. Seriously, you look like a major hottie with dark hair.

This color really brings out your eyes.

Amber said...

I love it! Of course this is coming from someone who dyes their hair soft black every six weeks.....

Andrea said...

Perhaps you were a Russian hooker in another life??

Shannon @ Bungalow960 said...

It looks awesome! I unfortunately am one of those suckers that pay $90+ for highlights every 8 weeks. Dumb.

Stephie @ Our Marriage Adventure said...

I love it - but I also dye mine black-brown often. What can I say, I'm a sucker for the Russian Hooker deal.

Josie said...

I paid $80 for highlights almost 2 years ago and I still feel guilty about it. One year ago I went from strawberry blonde (my natural color) to black. I used two boxes and I still had a couple random blonde patches.