Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Fat Bitches.

Now, everyone knows I really struggle with my weight. And I try really hard to lose weight and exercise but the fact of the matter is that I love spicy chicken sandwiches with no mayo and large fries from Wendy's. I do and I can't stop myself. So over the years I have gotten to the point where I know it's totally unrealistic for me to think I'll be a skinny bitch. Between my love of fast food and my genetics that have given me large boobs, a bubble ass, and thunder thighs, it's best just to embrace it and not kill myself on some hellish machine in a gym.

Then I watch shows like Basketball Wives. Granted, I know these people are black and I am a very white girl, but why is it that chunky black women are pretty but chunky white women are fat asses? Huh?


Explain it to me please.

Because birthday party or not, there is no way my thighs and ass would be in spandex. Ever. I mean, on one hand I'm thrilled to see women who aren't all a size two flouncing their asses on TV but then on the other hand, I'm wondering why they don't get criticism but us normal people do? If I wore a form fitting outfit and you could totally see my bubble ass, my thunder thighs, and my kangaroo pouch and tummy, people would call me a fat ass and tell me to stop eating. Probably.

And now that I have a daughter of my own I wonder, how do you teach your daughter to appreciate the body she has? It might not be perfect, she might not be the prettiest girl on the block, but how do you explain that? Because even at age 30 I know I struggle with that. Sure, I'm not the prettiest girl around and I certainly don't have a body anyone envies but I'm OK. Right?

It's also weird how age changes your perspective. In your 20's you're trying to maintain and look your best to get a really great husband. Basically. By the time you are in your 30's and you've got the husband and you've maybe had kids it's more about feeling good for yourself. I figure if I ever divorced Matt I wouldn't obsess about how I looked to meet another guy. I'd feel more like, this is what you get, buddy. Take the bubble ass or leave it. I imagine that when I hit my 40's I'll feel differently again so who knows.

So until then, I continue with my Zumba classes. Which I actually love. I've been going once a week for sure, twice when I can, and now that there is a third class on Wednesday? I think I might step up my game and do that too. It would be good just to get the cardio to keep myself healthy.

Well, as healthy as I can with my love of french fries anyways.

6 comments:

Amber said...

Look, I don't care who you are or how skinny you are, but if you wear hot pink spandex in public for anything other than going to the gym or riding a bicycle....you might be trash.

I mean, really? Look at that picture and tell me those chicks aren't trashy.

Just saying.

Shannon @ Bungalow960 said...

I always wonder why there is such a double standard for white girls. It sucks.

Tamara said...

Girl, I couldn't agree with you more on the double standard for white girls. So annoying.

I think once you move past 'being considered fat' by every one and move towards being healthier [Zumba - so fucking fun!] you kind of forget you're considered by society's standards to be big. Or at least that's the way it has been for me. I've been working out all year [and still eating the shit out of oreos, not changing my diet bitches!] and while I haven't lost weight and my BMI is considered obese - my fat percentage is normal.

I worry about teaching my daughter those things too...like where do you draw the healthy line at and can I show her those things because I damn sure have sat down and cried about my muffin top...I don't want her to see that but it's still me and I don't want to hide it from her either.

Anyway. I tried finding you a goat, but they don't like being put in boxes. Weird, right?

Josie said...

There is definitely something wrong with us white people. The constant obsession with our size does way more harm than it does good. Maybe, subconsciously, that's why I have always dated and ended up marrying a Hispanic guy. They don't really care how fat you get. Now I only have to worry about meeting my own standards for myself. Except when I lose weight, my husband says he misses my chubby face. Oh, well, guess I'll have to buy more oreos.

Gini said...

Um, ain't none of those girls pretty, Sara. They look like fucking hookers on TV, they look like fucking hookers in real life, and I (personally) avoid both sets. I like real women, like you-- women who have real-life priorities in addition to wanting to take good care of themselves.

And I have to say, I met you and not only did I think you had an adorable figure, you have some of the prettiest eyes I've ever seen!

Ruth said...

When my daughter was younger, I had her watch this show with me on really thin celebrities and we talked about how being too thin was not good. We have also talked about getting too big is not healthy either. She does wish she was a little thinner, but she accepts her size and that's good.