Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Oh, you know... just another post to lose readers.

I am the first person to tell you that I really don't know a lot about math, economics, and politics. I'm not ashamed to say I barely made it through my American Government, History, and math classes in high school and college. Mostly because I don't get it and I don't like to pay attention when it requires a lot of brains to get it.

Get it?

But every time there is a Presidential election I really try to use some basic common sense. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I really feel like one of my strengths as a person is that I'm able to look at things more generally. Sure, it might not be something near and dear to my heart, but I try to use common sense to figure out what would be best. So here are my thoughts:

  • Good, bad, or indifferent: Paul Ryan looks like Gilligan and I cannot take someone who looks like Gilligan seriously.
  • Whenever a nominee says you should let Detroit fail, that's alarming. Sure, they should have managed themselves better but can you even imagine what would have happened if we let Detroit fail? Holy shit.
  • And when you have someone from a nominee's camp basically say they won't be run by fact checkers? Holy shit.
  • Is Obama awesome? No. But honestly, if you look at what struggles he faced, and you look at the Congress he had to work with... no surprise that this country hasn't done a total 180. No WONDER. He's basically working with a bunch of late for naptime, nonsharing, tantrum throwing toddlers. Nobody wants to compromise or work together. It doesn't matter who you have in the White House, if we can't work together we're doomed.
  • I don't care what your belief on God and your vagina's rights are, but it s fundamentally wrong to take away the choice to choose. If you are a woman you should be proud of the women that came before us that worked so hard to establish our right to choose, even if it isn't a choice you would choose for yourself. And that's so great to know that for sure for yourself, but not everybody has your support system, your beliefs, your opportunities. Give women that choice. It's a slippery slope to take one right away from people and let's not go there.
  • Any nominee who believes our military needs more money and can't sustain major cuts? Loses my vote. I'm all for keeping us safe but we don't need troops in every country. We aren't even in war. Afghanistan, Iraq and Iran are out of our hands. They don't want us there, let's save our resources for something larger.
  • Any nominee who doesn't think education for our children doesn't need more money? Loses my vote. Schools are struggling all across the country and the only people who will suffer are our children. If we don't give our children the best possible education leading up to college, they won't go to college. If they don't go to college, we go no further. You don't see uneducated people becoming leading innovators.
  • Gay marriage? Why is it in 2012 are we still talking about this? As a straight, married person I have absolutely no right to deny the rights of someone who wants to marry the love of their life. When you look at the divorce rate, us straight people clearly don't know what we're doing either. As a parent with small children, I can't imagine voting against it. I want to give my children every opportunity I've had and more, and what if they grow up and turn out to be gay? I'd hate to think I voted against it and limited their opportunities. Because gay or straight, I want to see my kids get married, have families if they want them, and be as happy as I am.
  • Any nominee who says that on day one he's going to get the ball rolling on "major changes" yet doesn't talk about them? And gives a "you'll see" cryptic message? That is TERRIFYING. I'd rather vote for something I know and be disappointed than vote and be duped and subsequently screwed over.
  • I think the fact that people don't recognize how bad things were financially for our country when Obama started. Truly. Because if you had any idea how bad it was, and fully understand what a Great Depression in our time would have meant, then you would support Obama. Because we avoided that and thank goodness.
  • If you don't like Obama because he's black? Just admit you're a racist. Seriously. I don't believe you if you knock Obama for everything he has done and immediately say, "But I don't care he's black" because you may as well just say, "I'm a racist and I am fully ignorant and I don't understand why." And then stop talking.

I don't know. It's too late to change any body's opinion and I hope that by the time you read this you voted and exercised your right.

In other news, I voted this morning. And can I just say that when you vote? Please fucking know who you are voting for before you get there. Don't debate yourself in the booth. We've got lines and we've all got to get to work, asshole. Also? I'd like to know why my polling place always smells like Bengay and dirty diapers. Ugh.

6 comments:

Ryan Adair said...

I agree almost completely!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I totally agree that there should be marriage equality. It seems crazy that this is still an issue. Other people's personal opinions about gay marriage shouldn't mean the country does not allow gay marriage to take place (except in some lovely states that finally accepted the notion). It just seems like common sense.

-Lauren

p.s. I posted about my Halloween party, and I mentioned (and even showed off some pics) a couple items you got me for the swap- http://allgrownupparties.blogspot.com/

Ruth said...

The one thing I don't get is the whole debt thing that Obama gets blamed for. Anyone that has ever been in debt knows that once you start it just snow balls. Now it is pretty much unmanageable, but it was headed that way many years ago.
They do act like babies.
I voted third party.
A lot of things I looked into said with Romney you didn't know what you'd get.

Ang said...

Amen.

That is all.

Shannon @ Bungalow960 said...

Vagina power! Gay power!

Paul Ryan looks like Eddie Munster to me.

Mom Taxi Julie said...

My husband is a conservative and I freaking hate that he reads my blog now because I can't talk about how pissed off he makes me about his comments.

Last night was like a hostile enviorment in our house and I didn't even mention one word about the election to him even though he had the news on.

Next election year I'll be at the bar.