Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Even random surveys say I'm nuts.

So at work this week I had to do a StrengthsFinder questionnaire and normally I hate this kind of thing. They give you really vague results that basically could fit anyone depending on the day. So I whip through it and it was bizarre. The statements they give you are totally random, like one is "I like to clean" and the other was "I like to play sports". Um, what the eff? I obviously chose clean, strongly agreed, but you had to decide where you were on this continuum. So when I got my results, I laughed because they clearly think I'm insane. And I am sure my supervisors are like, "well we saw signs she was nuts, this confirms it"

But my top five strengths and a summary of them are:

Includer: "Stretch the circle wider" is the philosophy around which you orient your life. You want to include people and make them feel part of the group. You hate the site of someone on the outside looking in. You are an instinctively accepting person. Your accepting nature does no necessarily rest on the belief that each of us is different and that one should respect these differences. Rather, it rests on your conviction that fundamentally we are all the same.

Responsibility: This theme forces you to take psychological ownership for anything you commit to, and you feel emotionally bound to follow it through to completion. If for some reason you cannot deliver, you automatically start to look for way to make it up to the other person. Apologies are not enough, excuses and rationalizations are totally unacceptable. It's a near obsession for doing things right. When assigning new responsibilities, people will look to you first because they know it will get done. Your willingness to volunteer may sometimes lead you to take on more than you should.

Discipline: Your world needs to be predictable, ordered and planned. You set up routing, focus on deadlines and timelines. Faced with the inherent messiness of life, you want to feel in control. Your dislike of surprises, your impatience with errors, your routines, and your detail orientation don't need to be misinterpreted as controlling behaviors that box people in. Rather, these can be understood as your instinctive method for maintaining your progress and productivity.

Empathy:  You can sense the emotions of those around you. Intuitively, you are able to see the world through their eyes and share their perspective, even if you do not necessarily agree with it. You do not necessarily feel pity for each person's predicament- this would be sympathy, not empathy. You do not necessarily condone the choices each person makes, but you do understand. You hear the unvoiced questions, anticipate the need and find the right words and the right tone where others struggle.

Communication: You like to explain, to describe, to host, to speak in public and to write. You turn events into stories and practice telling them. You take the dry idea and enliven it with images and examples and metaphors. You want to divert their attention toward you and then capture it, lock it in. This is what drives your hunt for the perfect phrase, draws you toward dramatic words and powerful word combinations. This is hwy people like to listen to you.

Um, nailed it. I'm crazy but I at least have friends and make them laugh with my stories. Which is maybe why I have so many crazies that think we're best friends... because I'm a fucking includer. I need to stop including, it's clearly bad. Mystery solved, everyone. Because I'm an includer with empathy and communication skills, I bring the crazies to the yard.

Fabulous.

2 comments:

Jane Marynik said...

So you DID see me in your yard?! I need to work on my ninja skills.

Life Love & High Heels said...

I covered this in an email- but you are NOT crazy. These are all WONDERFUL attributes to have as an employee. If I were interviewing you, I would hire you immediately after seeing these :)