Monday, July 15, 2013

Discovery

I swear I'll finish up my vacation posts so you can meet Twinky. How's that for a cliff hanger? But first, a book review!

Discovery - Lisa White

Grace Mackay thought she was normal, a little shy maybe, but no less normal than any other struggling young waitress.  But she did not know about the secretive Powers world.  She did not know she was the last person on earth with the DNA needed for the Powers’ survival.  And she certainly did not know her newest boyfriend, Gregory, was an Anti-Powers prince who intended to break her heart and her bones in no particular order. 
            But when she discovers that Ben, her best friend and unrequited former crush, is actually her secret Guardian with superhuman powers, Grace’s normal turns a little wacky.  And when she learns that she has The Gift, the rare power to heal the injured and resurrect life with her touch, it is official– Grace is a weirdo even in the Powers world.  But what freaks Grace out more than all that is the fact she has feelings for Ben again – and he has feelings for her – which makes Grace’s new normal a lot more complicated.

First of all, thank goodness this is a trilogy because I finished reading this around 2am on Saturday morning and was like, "WHAT?! You can't leave me like this!" and I woke up Matt (who should be used to these kinds of wake up calls by  now) and as I'm telling him how amazing this book was, he was giving me the look like he didn't care. 

But you'll care. I just know it. 

I will say, that the books is really well written and I absolutely loved it, but it read like a YA. Now, if you like YA novels (like me), you won't even care and you'll love it just the same. If you aren't a fan of YA, you might not like it, though I do still think you should give it a try. I did notice a few Twilight references in the book (the ball game, the running at fast speeds on Ben's back, etc) but it's not enough for you to think it's an issue. Oh, another Twilight like reference? The council. Now, I don't think the council is as bad as the Volturi (we'll see), but it still feels like this doom meeting as you get further and further into the book. Oh, and the council? I totally knew who was on it. I'm just happy I was right. 

The love story between Grace and Ben is kind of adorable and you'll find yourself rooting for them the entire time. There are lots of characters that have been introduced that I bet make more appearances in later books and maybe a larger impact in the greater story, but that's kind of a good thing. I don't like too many characters thrown at you with major story lines and you're forced to keep it all straight over the span of multiple books. Lisa White is a great author and I've read a few of her other books as well so I was not surprised to like this book as much as I did. I highly recommend this one!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My husband would kill me if I woke him up to tell him about a book! LOL

I'm glad you enjoyed this one so much. Thanks for being on the tour!