Thursday, October 24, 2013

NaNoWriMo



Raise your hand if you are crazy and thinking about doing NaNoWriMo this year? November is National Novel Writing Month and they encourage budding writers to write a novel all within the span of a month and have it be 50,000 words.
National Novel Writing Month - Press Start
I don't think I'm going to officially do it, like sign up and such, but I figure maybe I'll just get a head start on the book I've written notes about for years. Just maybe. The cool thing I discovered is Grammarly. Have you heard about this? Because if you are doing NaNoWriMo, you should get yourself familiar with it. But I use Grammarly's plagiarism checker online because you don't want to be that author us bloggers publicly shame as a copycat on blogs and Goodreads. You know I'll totally do it. It's so easy to take an idea and kind of shape it so you think it's your own- but don't do that. Truly. Don't do that. Put some more thought into it and really make it better than anything else you've read. Just go for it.

And if you aren't going to go for 50,000 words because holy moly that is a lot of words, you can take part in Grammarly's community written novel! You have until tomorrow to go HERE and submit your plea to take part. How cool will that be? I'm excited to see what comes of it. Ultimately, they would like to publish it and have it be the book with the largest number of authors ever. EEK! Super exciting. So you might have a full book in you, and if you aren't ready, this is a really cool option instead to get your feet wet.

So if you are writing, I am publicly pleading with you to use Grammarly to make sure you aren't using a ridiculous amount of exclamation marks and that you aren't knowingly (or even unknowingly) ripping off another author.

1 comment:

Mom Taxi Julie said...

This idea is a bit fascinating to me. I've never really thought about writing a book but it might be kind of fun to give it a shot.