Monday, October 21, 2013

The Demon Abraxas

It's been awhile since we've had a book where my first response was, "Oh what the hell is this?!", so here we go:

The Demon Abraxas - Rachel Calish
The Demon Abraxas
San Francisco after dark can be full of unusual sights, but the last thing Ana Khoury expects to stumble across is black-garbed figures carrying a body into a building. Her call to 911 is interrupted by a blow to the head, plunging her into nothingness.

Sabel Young has long been attracted to the gentle and alluring Ana, but her esoteric assignments have left her with few options for romance. When she realizes that Ana has been taken—and by whom—her very private life and Ana’s normal world collide. Her orders were specific: she is not supposed to get involved with demons.

Even if Sabel’s interest in Ana weren't already personal, there is no way she will leave a woman with no magic in the hands of dark powers. With daring and luck she pulls Ana to safety and at first it appears they have escaped dark magic unscathed. 


You all know I am a big fan of paranormal romance so I think that's why I signed up for this one without any hesitation. And then I realized that oh hey- this is a lesbian paranormal romance, I didn't know what to think. Clearly the description makes that obvious and maybe I had assumed it was a typo or maybe I didn't read it at all because I don't know that I would have gone for it. And rightfully so, the romance portions of this book do absolutely nothing for me. If ever there was a doubt of my sexuality, this book sealed it. I am very much a fan of penis and not a fan of vagina. 

But yay to those who are fans of vaginas, I am not saying I am anti gay. Big fan of gay and lesbian. It just literally does nothing for me. 

And maybe that's why this book was blah for me. Sure, the paranormal stuff? Interesting and weird. Mostly weird because Abraxas is a demon, but he's in Ana, and that's weird. Honestly, it makes me think that Ana probably looked schizophrenic, she has conversations with the Abraxas and that was odd. Abraxas is insightful and intelligent and it forces Ana to basically look at what she's doing and figure out if it's what she should be doing. The other thing is that Sabel, the love interest, is a witch. And demons are not besties with witches and vice versa, so that is clearly a complication. I don't know if I missed something in the book but I don't really understand the origin of the demons and witches essentially hating each other, maybe it's something you just come in knowing? I felt a little lost on that aspect and skimmed back twice to see if maybe I had missed a page but no. 

Overall, it was alright. I'm not saying run out and buy it because our friendship depends on it, but I'm not saying fully say no either. I think really the hiccup for this book is the lesbian relationship and that is fully my own fault for not figuring that out sooner. So if you are into that? This book will be out of the ballpark for you, all the way. You will have the warm tinglies and who doesn't love that?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this book for the tour.