Thursday, November 21, 2013

Buried Threads

Full disclosure, this is book 2 in the Threads series and I did not read book 1. I was a little lost in some parts but it wasn't enough for me to put it down and read book one to continue this one.

Buried Threads - Kaylin McFarren
Buried Threads (Threads, #2)
Rachel Lyons and her partner Chase Cohen accept a contract to recover a lost priceless treasure in the Sea of Japan. However, upon arriving in Tokyo, they soon discover their mission is more complicated and dangerous than they originally believed. In order to prevent a natural disaster from striking Japan and killing millions, they must form an alliance with yakuza members, dive into shark-infested waters and recover three ancient cursed swords...before time runs out.

I wasn't sure what to think about this book. Mostly because I didn't realize how much of a Japanese story line there would be and how much culture would be pulled into this book. I'm not a fan of either and there is a lot in this book. So if you like either of those, definitely pick up this book. If you are not, it may be tough for you to get into it. 

Overall the book was good. It's a solid suspense book with a little bit of romance. I wouldn't peg this as a romance but it's more suspense. Also did not know this was the second in the Threads series. I haven't read the first book and I feel like I maybe would have understood Rachel a little bit more? It's certainly not a deal break to jump in with this book though. You won't be lost. 

This book has a LOT of characters though. Not necessarily hard to keep track of them all but I'll be honest, with the clearly Japanese names, I was getting a little confused. The book feels a little like... Tomb Raider? Rachel is clearly a kick ass, strong female lead and she gets it done. I really liked her, I felt like her character was pretty solid. If you like a book that keeps you guessing? This is what you need. Win. 

Overall... I'd be a 2.5 or 3 stars out of 5. While the story is fast paced, it's well written, the characters are good, it didn't grab me to the point where I couldn't put it down. The beginning is a bit slow and it does pick up, but I wished it was a bit faster. I don't know how many of my friends would see this and pick it up and love it. I think my issue was such a rich Japanese story line? It just didn't pull me as I had hoped that it would. 

No comments: