Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Into the Crossfire

Lambs. I have so much to update you on, posts in progress, all of it. But first I have a book review for a series and you know I'm such a slut for a series. I cannot even help myself.

Into the Fire - Cindy McDonald
Into the Crossfire (First Force)
It has been four years since ex-Navy SEAL Jack Haliday, had an explosive run-in with a biker gang, wounding their leader, Gunner. During those years, Jack had acquired everything he ever wanted: a beautiful wife, daughter, and a lovely home in the suburbs--everything was just about as perfect as it could get, until Gunner returned to twist Jack's world inside-out with a vengeance that he could never have prepared for. Now Jack has a score to settle and he's got some friends to help him do it.

I'll be honest- I said I would review this because it's the first in a series AND it involves Navy SEAL's. Yum. Double yum. Thankfully, I wasn't disappointed at all and it was a great read. I'll also be honest- I thought this was going to be a romance and considering what happens to Jack's wife- it would have been terrible and totally not believable at all. 

And can I just say? I love the characters. I love them all, I love how well Cindy developed them in this story without you thinking, "Oh just shut up already", it's just enough. It sets up the series, it leaves you wondering where the series is going to go, are we just going to focus on Jack, or will we learn more about the other First Force members, or what about Dr. Rayne Lee? I think the second book is set up to be "her" book, but who knows. I thought this was going to be just Jack but the author pulls a little bit of everyone into it. 

Anyways. 

This is basically the story of Jack, who pissed off a really bad guy. He thought after four years he was in the clear but oh no- not even close. I can't tell you the big comeback moment because it ruins a big part of the book. But, BIG THING HAPPENS, and it sets the rest of the characters in motion. Reeling from BIG THING, Jack is injured and damned if he's going to let the bad guy win. But because he's injured others are basically doing the leg work trying to figure out who did it, all of the players involved, and more information on where said players now are. Well bad guys figure out that oh hey- Jack is still alive, so they come after him. Then there is a big deal at the end and along the way we have human trafficking, a bad cop, a doctor who clearly  has some form of PTSD and a little girl. All of that, happening within 360-some pages.

I really loved this book. I am super excited for the rest of the series. This was hard to put down and I finished it in mere hours. Totally worth the wasted weekend afternoon when I should have been baking! 

3 comments:

Cindy McDonald said...

Hey Sara, thanks so much for taking the time to read Into the Crossfire--I am so very happy that you enjoyed the book! Thanks for the great review and hosting the book on my tour! Happy Thanksgiving!

burkedesign said...

Hi
Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog post. energy efficient construction

Unknown said...

Hi
It’s hard to find knowledgeable people regarding but you sound like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks for sharing this with others.smart home