Friday, February 7, 2014

Guardian for Hire

Oooh.... another good romance book! I've been on a roll as of late and that's good for me, and for you. I'm such a fan of buying books for my friends to read just as "thinking of you" gifts, and honestly? Any of the books I've been reviewing are so appropriate for that. Sometimes I even get sassy and gift them a cute hand towel and batteries. I don't even have to leave a card- they know who left it for them. HA!

Guardian For Hire - Christine Bell
Guardian For Hire (For Hire, #2)
Psychologist Sarabeth Lucking’s life is turned upside down when the upscale couples’ retreat she works for winds up embroiled in the biggest scandal of the year. With her reputation in tatters, she can’t imagine things getting worse, until her former co-workers are murdered, one by one. A bad-ass, ex-Army Ranger might be able to keep her safe, but something tells her she’s getting more than she bargained for...

Gavin McClintock grew up on the streets of Edinburgh, and protecting prissy Dr. Stick-Up-Her-Rear isn’t high on his list of things to do. Still, a promise is a promise, and he’ll need a clear head if he’s going to keep her off the growing list of victims. He didn’t count on the fire in her, or how distracted he’d be by her. As the flames grow hotter, he starts to wonder if she’s the one who needs protecting.

Will Sarabeth and Gavin outrun a killer and give into the passion burning between them?


I think what upset me most about this one? Is that it's the second in a series! Damn! Where have I been?? Fortunately, you didn't need to read the first one, they are all stand alone. In fact, I didn't even know this was the second in a series until I went looking for the book synopsis on GoodReads to give to you. But I think the fact I have just added everything Christine Bell has written on my "want to read" list tells you how much I liked the book. 

First of all, I love Gavin. I think I have mentioned I have a thing for retired military who are just jacked and need someone to fix them emotionally. Where were all of these men when I was single? Huh? Where were you all? *sigh* Secondly, I loved Sarabeth. Shorten her name, and you can see why. Love. I also totally could be Sarabeth. Like her, I'm very pragmatic and I'll get emotional but I also know when to set it aside and focus on what is happening and concentrate on that. 

So the jist is Sarabeth used to work at a couple's retreat which turned out to be a gigantic scam. She didn't know that until the very end and now people are turning up dead. Enter Gavin, hired by her friends, to essentially keep her safe until they can figure out who is carrying out these murders and why. But in this process, Sarabeth realizes that Gavin is really gorgeous. He realizes she is really gorgeous. Enter sexual tension! But here's what I really love- while in protective custody essentially, she is learning basic skills on self defense and she is learning how his business of security works (because what else do you do??), and while her first instinct is to say no way, she does it anyways. And she discovers that maybe she isn't this fragile person, that she can maybe take care of herself. Which leads to, easily, one of my favorite endings ever of her realizing that Gavin is great and she needs him. So she sets out to be all badass and stealthy and it turns out hilarious and yay because you know it's a good ending. And then the very end? What he does for her? Dammit, if Matt ever was even a third of that romantic? Panties dropped daily. I'm just saying. 

This was also a really quick read for me, and you'll have no problem getting fully into the book where you won't want to put it down. Great characters, good story line, and a great ending. You can't ask for much  more- I totally loved this book. You can add it to your GoodReads list here

1 comment:

Anna (herding cats-burning soup) said...

Oh excellent! I'm so glad to hear this one is good since I just picked it up the other day. The cover kinda made me buy it. It just yelled Anna! You need me! lol I have a thing for those retired military men too :)