Monday, March 31, 2014

Well, math standards sure have changed in 14 years.

For those keeping up with my adventures as a mom going back to school, the next chapter is both parts hilarious and shameful. I took my  math and English placement test on Sunday. I was there at 7:30 a.m. and there were maybe 35 people total? I was the oldest one by a good 15 years and only one of two who did not have their parent waiting with them.

It was kind of embarrassing.

Once we got into the room to test, I was kind of nervous. I wasn't super dumb in math in high school, I pulled solid B's and that one time I got an A- in advanced algebra because Mr. Denno let me do a who lot of extra credit worksheets. But I never did math any higher than advanced algebra because I knew I was pushing my limits with that even. I did the bare minimum the State of Wisconsin requires to graduate high school.

Turns out that's a terrible choice if you are planning to go to a four year university someday.

When I opened the test booklet it very helpfully tells you that it's primarily advanced algebra, advanced geometry and calculus. Oh goodie, because I may as well just go  home at this point. I was so worried about remember the algebraic order of things and it turns out, totally pointless because 3/4 of the math problems had no numbers in the equation but it was multiple choice so I went with the one that looked better. If I get even five right on that test by sheer guessing I'm going to be really surprised. I'm expecting a zero because you got 90 minutes and I was done in 10. It only takes 10 minutes to color around 90 dots on a scantron in completely. At least I wasn't the kid who started crying during the test. I mean, it was hard but I was more on the verge of laughing hysterically because seriously- who needs this in life? I really wanted to stand up at the end and be like, "Kids- I've been out of high school for 14 years, I can tell you right here and now, I have never once used any of this.", but I didn't because they had a strict no talking rule.

Then after that, we had a bit of a break and then started the English test. Which I knew I was going to do well. I was kind of giddy because I freaking love proofreading things. And sure enough, we got 90 minutes to do that one as well and I was done in 30 and you just have to sit there until the timer goes off. I feel pretty confident I did well on that.

Turns out, totally didn't need to even take that one. *sigh* But I told Matt that's OK because whoever grades these tests will know I'm not just totally stupid. I'm just math stupid, and function just fine thank you very much. I guess I'll hear back about all of this soon. I'm fairly certain I'll have to go to the lowest level of math and work my way up to university worthy math and that's terrifying. As my brother tells me, "C's for degrees" and that might be my motto for all of my math classes. My goal is just to pass. I just need to pass.

3 comments:

This Old Guy said...

I can't even imagine doing math tests right now. Of course I attended school back in the Dark Ages so I know how bad I'd be.

Kattrina said...

I hate math too. Luckily for me, I've only ever needed statistics and never had to take regular college math. Or a math placement test - which would have placed me in the bottom. I wouldn't worry about it - it is what it is.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

My college math placement test had all of ten algebra and four geometry questions on it.
If that.
But that would have been...lets see..carry the 2...um.. 31 years ago.
Holy fuck!!
I bombed it. Got put in "Math Appreciation" with all the football players. aka "Math for total idiots" We all got Bs, whether we showed up, took the tests, did any homework or just had the class on our schedules. It was awesome.