Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Cheapest Summer Vacation and.... GO!

I've just decided that we are going to go on some kind of family vacation if it kills us. That being said, I have two surgeries coming up so it needs to be ghetto cheap. And by ghetto cheap I mean as free as possible. The plan so far is:


  • Spend one night in the WI Dells using the discount room voucher I have. Kids can swim, we can say we've been there and we aren't the worst parents in the world. 
  • Go to Madison and stay somewhere relatively cheap and not in the ghetto. 
  • Go to Madison Zoo (it's free!) during the day, and then...
  • Make my family come with me to the Barnes & Noble at some mall where author Maggie Stiefvater is doing a book signing. FAN GIRL the entire time. 
  • At some point eat at the Great Dane restaurant. I saw it on that show Discover Wisconsin and I forget why I made note of it but I obviously have to go to find out. 
  • And then what? 

Surely there are really low cost and/or free things around Madison/Milwaukee that we can take the kids. My goal is to get a trip all organized and then present it to Matt and say let's just do this shit. 

Do you live near the ass crack of Wisconsin/Michigan? Any ideas on super cheap and/or free fun things to do?

3 comments:

♥ Drazil ♥ said...

Forget the Dells and go to Holiday Inn West (I think) because it has a water park in it and is near the malls, stores and places to eat....we always stay there.

thotlady said...

I am not sure if there is a cost but the Domes in Milwaukee are fun to visit.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

No ides per se for your area but we're going to be visiting various museums in the 3 hour driving area over the summer. There is a really cool kids hands on science museum 2 hours away and a living history place, and a couple of the state parks are doing cheapy kids 2-3 hour programs like crafts and nature walks. Some just for kids & some for families. Plus geocaching. After spending $5 for the phone app it's free too.
Basically this summer is a series of staycations, plus probably a trip to my hometown where we will mooch off of relatives for a few days. :)