Thursday, April 10, 2014

TBT: skinny teenager edition

It occurred to me that I haven't put any pictures from my high school years up yet. I don't have more than this one on my computer, the rest have been cut and shaped to fit into a scrapbook of ugly portions, maybe I'll take pictures of that sometime. I used to have a scrapbook of just me and my first love, but after I moved out of my parents house, I had forgotten about my box of treasure in the basement (all kinds of random ass crap I kept from high school that I thought would be cool to look through someday). Turns out, my dad threw it away. I would like to think it wasn't done on purpose. He probably thought it was all garbage, but to me it was all memories. 

*sigh*

But I do have this picture. I remember it being taken on Christmas morning. My mom had gotten me this bear because it was soft and I had made a joke about her not getting me stuffed animals on Christmas like she used to. Now as an adult I'm sure it's because she realized what a waste of money they are and what a pain in the ass they are to store some place. And I wasn't seriously, I was just joking around with her. But by god, on Christmas morning that year, there was a giant bear waiting for me. As was a stack of CD's from The Smashing Pumpkins, Marilyn Manson, Matchbox 20, Orgy, New Politics, Fiona Apple, Korn, Limp Bizkit and the Mama's and the Papas. This was my sophomore year of high school I think. I also got a Sony Discman which I was ridiculously grateful for because I was working at Dairy Queen and I had to ride the bus to work and back and it got awfully boring. So I would load my backpack up with CD's and books and go. 

Back then, I had a pixie hair cut, three holes in each ear and was a size 7/8. You can't see it very well, but behind the bear on the floor was beloved hunter green Jansport backpack. I loved that thing so much and it was with me always. It was covered with random buttons, a rabbit's foot my cat would lick all of the time, this plastic stretchable bunny that was pinned to it like a sacrifice, and bottle caps. Lots and lots of bottle caps. Then on my bed was all of my Christmas loot, but you can see the edge of the blue/yellow/orange Ernie blanket I had. In fact, that has to still be at my mom's somewhere. I should look for it. But I got that from my friend Amanda after I broke my god damn nose that October while in gym class. I had a crush on a boy name John who we nicknamed Ernie so nobody would know who we were talking about. She had Turtle. My sophomore year was easily my favorite year of high school. 

But that? That's that picture. I'll see what I can dig up for next week! 

2 comments:

Life Love & High Heels said...

I love finding old pics from HS or early college. I had a hunter Jansport too!!!! I refuse to let my mom get rid of it for some crazy reason. It's not like I'm going to use it again. Oh well :) Memories ;)

This Old Guy said...

I'm thinking my sophomore year in school was one of the beast as well. Part of it had to do with getting my DL and a car though.