Monday, May 12, 2014

Wait, what? Why is this still a thing? WHO CARES.

So, the internet is a buzz with a few random things today but easily the most offensive thing I keep seeing is all of the polarized commentary on Michael Sam being the first openly gay football player to be drafted.

And I don't know why that's a big deal? Like, who really cares?

But people do care and there are an incredible amount of hateful Facebook posts, tweets, Instagram images, and blog posts that have titles like, "how to talk to your children about Michael Sam".

No, I'm not joking. That's a real thing. More than once.

What about Michael Sam? Is it because he's gay? Gay AND black? I mean, it's one thing to be one horribly offensive thing but two? Now you're pushing it? I find it kind of disheartening that in this day and age, when life is hard enough as it is that we can't just be happy for another person. Why are we so set on bringing someone else down all of the time? I'm the first one to say I'm not always the "bring your neighbor up" kind of gal because sometimes your neighbor is a jerk and needs to be kicked. But we're kicking someone because of how they are born. Because of who they choose to love.

Really? That's what it's come to? Maybe it's because with social media we are far more involved in the lives of other people far more than generations previously. We know exactly what you did last weekend, with who, what you wore, and what bathroom you maybe lost your panties in. We saw it all unfold on Facebook even if you didn't post it, surely one of your stellar friends did as a joke.

I always find it sad when someone comes out and is so incredibly ignorant and against gay marriage. It's like, is your life really that bad that you have be offended over people in love? It might not be your thing, you maybe have poor reading comprehension skills and a flawed book that tell you this is wrong, but who cares? Even if you in your heart believe it's wrong, why is it your problem? Why is it any of your business? The argument can be made that they "throw it in your face" but at the same time... aren't you throwing heterosexual love in their face? Maybe they find that offensive and disgusting. It's not so pretty when the table gets turned, right?

I guess it also bothers me when parents feel like they need to have this larger discussion with their children. Kids don't even care. I think Olivia asked me once what gay marriage was, shortly after it became legal in New York. When I explained to her it's when a woman marries a woman or a man marries a man because they love each other, there was a thoughtful silence. A short time later she asks, "Why wouldn't you get to marry someone you love?" GOOD QUESTION. That was a few years ago, and she's only eight now. How do I explain to her that you can only love certain people unless you want to be judged? That seems wrong. In addition to that, any conversation you start having that puts gay marriage and gay love into a negative light, you are really saying to your child that if that's the route they go in life, you aren't going to love them as much. If at all. What kind of parent would ever want to send that kind of message to their child for any reason? That seems a bit reckless. As a parent, I try really hard not to let my children form opinions on things because of what I think. Which is why I don't bring them to church. When they are old enough to really understand what church is, they can choose where they would like to go and develop their own beliefs. We discuss religion and things like that, and they attend various church things so they see that every place is different. I don't want them to feel like choices are made for them that make you who you are. I'll love them no matter what, and that's what is important.

2 comments:

Dianne R. said...

this video is perfect in response to the Michael Sams thing. I don't get people. There are horrible, horrible men in sports leagues who rape, beat, and steal... But we give a fuck about who this guy fucks? I don't get it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_MLi2wAfdM

Mom Taxi Julie said...

As my daughter is preparing to move across the country to go live with her girlfriend, I'm right there with you.

My favorite is people that spout out bible verses (but have not even went to church in the last 40 years) and talk about all the sin.

Which, if you don't believe in God are pretty irrelevant.