Friday, June 27, 2014

Sanctuary

Third book in a series! Let's do this.

Sanctuary - G. Michael Hopf
Sanctuary: A Postapocalyptic Novel (The New World Series, #3)
Surviving the attack proved to be more than they could have imagined…
 
Months after a super-EMP attack devastated the United States, the country is now unrecognizable. Major cities are run by gangs, survivors are dying of starvation and the government is falling victim to lawlessness. Those who were prepared for the end find that they weren’t really prepared at all.
 
While some seek vengeance for their losses, others are determined to restore the nation. Gordon, Samantha, Sebastian, Barone, Connor and Pablo are all on different paths, but they are all in search of a home away from chaos. They are all in search of a sanctuary. 


I'm just going to keep saying it- the scenario these books propose is a totally real one, and it's also absolutely terrifying. I know I'd be one of the first dead because I don't do well with hunting food and I would be that person trying to help everyone else while someone is stealing my wagon of food. So just know that before you think we can be post apocalyptic buddies. 

I've read the other two books in this series and so when I started this one, I didn't know what to expect. At the end of the second one, I found myself really not liking Gordon though I understood why he was the way he was. He has military training, he knows what to do to survive and he sees a larger picture where everyone else is focused on making it through the day alive. I struggled through this book because you can tell the author has military training and experience, which is a good thing, but he talked about things and I was lost. I felt that way in books one and two as well, but this one was maybe a little more confusing for me. 

The entire book is just one game changing thing after another. After awhile it got a bit frustrating because you just want it to end. Just... someone decide who is going to be in charge and then here we go. But no. There's indecisiveness on that, whether the country remains as the United States or if it changes into something different altogether or just half and half. It's a lot of drama. I am not a huge fan of political thrillers but my dad is and I know he'd absolutely love this book. Also anyone who has served in the military would probably love this because they know that this is a potential reality and would better understand the implications of some of the things we read about. 

Then, just when I feel like things are as settled as they can be, it ends with a cliff hanger. We find out about Sebastian (or do we? Do we really believe what Hunter says? Or is this just another plot dot on the story time line??), and it leaves us with Haley thinking about everything that had happened. And then.... when the hell is book four coming out? Because you can't leave us like this. Even though I struggle through these books and I can't get through them as quick as I usually can, I'm invested. I can't  skip the next book, obviously. I'm in, dammit. I'm in. 

(Also? The author should be proud to note that while I won't last long, I did purchase a non-electrical can opener. I can't bring myself to hoard cans of non perishable food, but I'll at least be able to open the the few cans that I have.) 

Check out the author's website HERE, or purchase the book on Amazon HERE

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to know that you now have a workable can-opener in case of emergency ... :)

Thanks for being a part of the tour!