Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Sigh.

Well. I don't think there is ever a good way to deliver bad news, is there? It's best to rip it off like a band aid, I suppose.

I lost my baby.

I went to the doctor today and I knew immediately that baby was gone. Not only was there no heartbeat, it wasn't any bigger and it looked.... it looked like a black hole. I knew right away. I couldn't look at Matt because I didn't want to cry. For once I just wanted to be strong. The ultrasound tech looked so sad and she just rested her head on my leg and said, "Oh honey.... things don't look like they should."

And I cried.

I cried so hard. Never in my life had I cried that hard. I felt like a failure. I felt like as a mother, I failed my baby. I felt like I let Matt down- I couldn't even carry his baby. I couldn't do it right and I'm sorry. I tried.

The irony here, is that it was that moment that made me realize how badly I wanted that baby.

I felt like I was being punished.

I think that ultrasound tech knew all of this was running through my head. All I remember is her hugging me as Matt stared as the still image of our dead baby, and her saying I was still a good mom. I didn't do anything wrong and that nature just worked out something that would have been harder for me later on.

In my head- I know all of this. I do.

I still can't look past it.

I left there with a prescription to essentially induce a miscarriage on my own. I know a lot of people opt for a D&C and I just couldn't. It felt cruel to just suck it out like it meant nothing at all. I feel like, as the mother, I can endure whatever pain and emotional upheaval is coming my way. I owe my baby that much.

I came home, followed the directions on the medicine and waited for my kids to come home. Thankfully, my mom said she could pick them up from school and bring them home. It's been a few hours. I was doing OK emotionally. Matt and I told the kids- they cried. They cried hard, which only makes me cry harder. Jackson asked me if we could still have a baby someday and I said maybe we could. Matt told me he would like to try again. Me being pregnant made him think three is in our future. I'm just too numb to think.

I was doing OK. I'm in some pain but it's not horrible. It feels exactly like early labor contractions, just as the doctor said they would. She said within 48 hours it should be gone. I go for a follow up ultrasound on Friday morning to make sure.

Right before Jackson's kindergarten graduation. I don't know how I'm going to keep it together during that as it is, and then I'll have this on me.

About an hour ago I felt a surge of pain and sure enough, I've started bleeding. That's when I lost it. I can't even tell you the guilt I feel right now. No amount of rationale is going to make this better for me. I know in a few weeks I'll be fine. I know I will. Right now I'm just crying because I just wish life would give me a fucking break. Why does everything have to be such a god damn uphill battle? Why can't things just happen and be amazing for me? What have I done to deserve nothing but struggle all of the way? I'm a good person. I do good things for people, I try to be kind and thoughtful, I help everyone who needs it when I can. And yet, none of it even matters because my heart is so battered some days I can't even breathe.

And now I get to feel my baby leave my body and it'll be for nothing.

The alarming thing is that the doctor held my hands and said, "Sara. I want you to prepare yourself and do not be alarmed. You ARE going to pass a noticeable size of tissue. It won't look like a baby, but you're going to know what it is. I don't want you to be scared, I want you to be prepared. You can do this." I left there feeling like I had a plan and I was going to do this.

And now it's started and I am absolutely terrified. I'm sad and terrified.

10 comments:

Jandy xx said...

Fucked up shit happens, but please know that you ARE a good person and you DO NOT deserve this, not even a little bit.

Unknown said...

No one is going to be able to tell you anything to make you feel better. People will say it'll get better, that everything happens for a reason, that God has a plan. Nothing will help. But, YOU are a strong woman. YOU know you will be ok eventually, and YOU know deep down that this is NOT your fault. YOU did nothing wrong. No, you do not deserve this. I know you aren't a believer in God, but I am and I will say a prayer for you and your family. Hang in there, grieve, cry, scream and yell and ask why. Because once you get all that out maybe one day you can try again :) and then if you do decide to have another baby and you hold that little one in your arms it will mean that much more bc then you will know that you are not a failure.

Jandy xx said...

And also know that I'm here for you at anytime, day or night xx

Unknown said...

My heart is breaking for you. Be well Sara. You are in my thoughts.

anne1609 said...

My gosh Sara... I don't even know what to say at this point and no matter what anyone says it won't take that hurt you feel in your heart. I have that deep ache in my stomach for you and your family. Your words alone are powerful and show your strength. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Tina said...

So, so, sorry you and the family are faced with the loss of the baby. Hugs and warm thoughts during this most difficult time.

SpiritPhoenix said...

Awww, I'm so sorry to hear that Sweetie! Big hugs to you! And don't worry about the snot on my shoulder. (LOL) It's washable.

I had a miscarriage myself. It happened at around the same time in the pregnancy too. It hurts, big, old, fat, and major rip-your-heart-out kinda hurt. It will suck for awhile. There's no doubt. But just look at the two beautiful babies you do have and shower them with love!

You are an AMAZING woman, mother, wife and friend!

If you want to chat let me know.

elaine Gallagher said...

So sorry. Blessings and love to you and your family.

Lin said...

I'm so sorry, sweets. Be strong, for you and your family...you can and will get through this. And if it's written in the stars, you'll have another :)

Rest and try to focus on the light at the end of the tunnel.

Steff said...

My heart hurts, not just for you but for everyone who has gone through a miscarriage. It's a kind of pain you never imagine until it actually happens. It WILL get better, but that baby will always, always be with you.

Much love to you, Matt, and the kids. <3