Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Guest Post: Paranormal Roulette

Today I have Christine Amsden giving you us a guest post. If you recall, yesterday I reviewed her new book, Mind Games, which is the third book in the Cassie Scot: Paranormal Detective series. You can always visit Christine at her website (here) or her blog (here). 

Ever since I was a little girl, I dreamed about possessing various magical or paranormal powers. Honestly, I can't think of too many I would turn down even though I have considered the downsides as well. The idea of possessing any magical power is just so cool that I'd be willing to play the game of paranormal roulette and face the consequences.

Almost any power would have its downsides. I've been asking about telepaths lately because I'm currently working on a book involving a telepath and am curious what the general perception about them is. Most are saying, “No way! I don't want to know what people are thinking about me.” Personally, I doubt that would be the biggest downside. I think if we realized how little time other people spent thinking us, we'd stop caring so much. :)


There would be downsides to telepathy of course, depending upon how it worked – how far the telepath's range is, how much he could hear (surface thoughts, emotions, every thought a person has ever had...), and whether or not he could block it. Yet I'd take it for one simple reason: Other people's actions often confuse me and I find myself wishing I understood their motivations. I'm curious. Plus, it would make me a better writer!


BUT if I could choose any one power or ability, it would not be telepathy. It's been the subject of enough conversations lately that I know I'd take it, all else being equal. It's just not the one I'd take above all others.

The one I'd take above all others is teleportation – the ability to disappear from one location and instantly reappear somewhere else.


To understand why I'd gloss over a lot of really awesome superpowers to go for teleportation (which is also cool but maybe not your first choice), realize that I am legally blind. This isn't like total blindness, it's more like the world's a blur and no corrective lenses (or anything else) can fix it. I'm drafting this at 36-point font. In my daily life, my biggest challenge is transportation. I can't drive; I take taxis wherever I need to go. Teleportation would get me anywhere with flair!


Another thing to understand about me is that I dream of traveling more than anything else. I want to see the world. If I could teleport, I could pop over to Europe for the afternoon. Lunch in Paris, then maybe off for an afternoon in New Zealand or something.


The biggest downside to teleportation would be maintaining secrecy. I doubt anyone would trust me not to teleport into a bank vault or something, and I would probably be considered a serious security risk by people who feel fear – which is most of us! Since no one could hold a teleporter in prison, my life would be in danger.


I suppose I could have asked for the power to heal my vision, but that feels like a cheat and anyway, I don't want to be a healer after that first application. I can just imagine the hordes of people clamoring for one touch from me and I have to decide who is “worthy” of healing. Shudder!

Thanks, Christine! I think I wouldn't mind being a telepath so much. I mean, look at all the adventure Sookie Stackhouse has! Remember, there is a $100 Amazon gift card drawing happening until July 16! Good luck!

a Rafflecopter giveaway


*The giveaway begins on April 15, 2014 at midnight and ends on July 16, 2014 at midnight.

3 comments:

SpiritPhoenix said...

I don't know what I'd like as a superpower. I like how in some of the X-Men comics, Jean Gray can use her telepathic powers to fly and lift other things, which would be cool. Maybe her powers, but without the whole Dark Phoenix downside.

Christine Amsden said...

Thank you so much for being part of my tour!

thotlady said...

I would like to be a medium. To speak with the dead would be very useful.

I would so want to talk to my father. I miss him greatly.