Friday, July 25, 2014

S.E.C.R.E.T. Shared

So it's been awhile since I reviewed the first book in this series, but because I was asked to review book three, that prompted me to push book two to the top of my to-read pile, so here we go.

S.E.C.R.E.T. Shared - L. Marie Adeline
S.E.C.R.E.T. Shared (Secret, #2)
"I, Cassie Robichaud, solemnly swear to serve S.E.C.R.E.T. to the best of my abilities. I will do what is necessary, what is right and what is within my power to assist in the execution of sexual fantasies for our participant(s)..."

And so begins S.E.C.R.E.T. II, which opens with Cassie's initiation into this mysterious organization, one that helps women experience their most potent sexual fantasies. Cassie spends the next year as a "S.E.C.R.E.T. member-at-large," not quite a guide, she'll assist Committee members (including two new ones, Kit DeMarco and Angela Rejean) in recruiting men and helping to execute a new inductee's fantasies. 

After a false start with the first potential inductee, Cassie makes the acquaintance of Dauphine Gray, a 31-year old who works at the Funky Monkey vintage clothing store on Magazine Street in New Orleans. Geeky, gawky and easily distracted, Dauphine has no idea how attractive she really is because her face is forever in a book. Reading is her passion, music is her pleasure, and Dauphine's all but given up on sex, especially after a painful rejection that still haunts her. Then Cassie and the women from S.E.C.R.E.T. show her it's possible to reignite that flame.

Meanwhile, Cassie must work through her resentment over losing Will to Tracina and their future baby. But when paternity questions surface, Tracina threatens to expose Cassie's S.E.C.R.E.T. membership to the one man both women love. Will Tracina expose Cassie to Will, and if she does, what will he make of his secret love's S.E.C.R.E.T. life?


Just like I mentioned in the first book, the premise of these books is kind of amazing. Not just that, but the thought that there would an organization there to basically show women the way towards their own personal sexual revolution is kind of mind blowing and I would totally, eagerly sign myself up. I'd probably even beg. Because although I consider myself to not be a total prude, there are definitely areas that I could use a little help in. 

I absolutely flew through this book in one afternoon because it keeps you on your toes. We switch between the point of views of Cassie, who is Dauphine's guide through her S.E.C.R.E.T. journey but she's also still learning about herself. Just because she made it through all ten fantasies doesn't mean she's some kind of goddess. But she at least has the tools to take her life to another level. She's pining for Will, who has a baby on the way with Tracina. He doesn't love or want Tracina the way he does Cassie, but he thinks he's doing the right thing. This leaves Cassie to explore herself with other guys and she is finding it difficult to find what she feels for Will in anyone else. 

But then we also have Dauphine, who after a fairly terrible breakup and a really brutal blow to her self esteem, is struggling to move her life in a positive direction. She's pining for Mark, a singer in a local band, but she's certain that not only does he not notice her, but that he wouldn't give her the time of day anyways. And she struggles through some of the fantasies but she's trying so hard to reclaim a piece of herself her ex took with him when he left with her best friend. 

Overall? I really liked this book. I enjoyed the erotic scenes, I felt jealous I couldn't be in this club, and I loved the personal stories of love. We have a bit of a major cliff hanger at the end of this one which is great because I have book three lined up and ready to go. I'll keep you all posted! 

No comments: