Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Stolen Dreams (Cassie Scot #4)

This is it folks, the end. The end of the Cassie Scot Paranormal Detective series.

Stolen Dreams - Christine Amsden
Stolen Dreams (Cassie Scot #4)
Edward Scot and Victor Blackwood have despised one another for nearly a quarter of a century, but now their simmering hatred is about to erupt.

When Cassie Scot returns home from her sojourn in Pennsylvania, she finds that her family has taken a hostage. Desperate to end the fighting before someone dies, Cassie seeks help from local seer Abigail Hastings, Evan Blackwood's grandmother. But Abigail has seen her own death, and when it comes at the hand of Cassie's father, Victor Blackwood kills Edward Scot.

But things may not be precisely as they appear.

Evan persuades Cassie to help him learn the truth, teaming them up once again in their darkest hour. New revelations about Evan and his family make it difficult for Cassie to cling to a shield of anger, but can Evan and Cassie stop a feud that has taken on a life of its own? Conclusion to the Cassie Scot series.


It hasn't been that long since I had finished book three, so I came into book four with stuff fresh in my mind. That's always helpful because if I've learned nothing else, it's that these books are jammed packed with information, plot twists, and just so much happening in general. 

Here are some things I want to note about this book: 

  • I feel like the series ended, which is what it needed to do. I almost feel like this could have been condensed into three books and taken out a lot of fluff in books 2-4. 
  • This book was a bit slower for me, just like the third. I kept feeling like there were things that were in here that just didn't need to be. They don't add to the greater story and they keep you waiting for the action, which doesn't really pick up until mid way through. 
  • Cassie and Evan, I have felt the entire time they are meant to be and I was kind of disappointed that their story line in this book feels flat. It just doesn't have the sweeping emotion it should have, given how much they've been through together. 
  • YES- Cassie finally accepts who she is, who she is not, what her abilities are, what they are not, and there is so much closer on on that, with her family, and really with Evan's family. We learn more about the back story there and it really clears up a lot of things, at least for me, that we read in earlier books. 
  • Tons of spoilers can be given because there are some key people, primarily around Cassie, who have been basically making her life a living hell for quite awhile. I'm not going to spoil it because really there were a couple of, "You cannot be serious!!" moments, and those are really key to enjoying this book. 
Overall? A solid 4 star from me. I mean, yes it was slow to get going, but I think the ending and all of the huge secondary character surprises really made up for it and kept me going until the end. If you want to get started on this series, go to the author website to learn more. You can also go to the Goodreads page for this book HERE and add it to your list. 

No comments: