Sunday, November 2, 2014

Forget Thanksgiving, let's talk about Christmas.

Anyone who knows me in real life knows I am not a fan of Thanksgiving. It's not that I don't love my family, or that I don't enjoy spending time with my family, it's that I hate the holiday. Period. I have never ended a Thanksgiving feeling grateful or happy. Instead, I feel tired, I smell like turkey, my hands are so sore and dry from washing dishes, I'm resentful that I have an entire fridge full of leftover's I'm not going to eat because I'm against leftovers in general. I spend the day feeling frustrated that I'm having to do that much cooking, then cleaning, never mind cleaning my house really well before hand, and then being forced to be cheerful when I really want to just be alone.

I know a lot of people are against stores opening on Thanksgiving and last year it was amazing. It made my life to have an excuse to be done with the holiday early so I can get my ass in line at Walmart, then go freeze my ass off in the line at Kohl's, and then go to the mall where I proceeded to sweat like I have never sweat before because it was so damn hot in there and I, like an idiot, thought I'd be in and out and left my jacket on.

You guys, I didn't almost die from crowds or trampling, I almost died from over heating in my winter gear.

But this year, funds are low. I will still be out on Thanksgiving and Black Friday getting things for the kids (I already have my lists made!), but this year I'm going to try to make a lot of gifts. They won't be extravagant, or the best thing you've ever gotten, but you'll know I most likely made your gift in the middle of the night while the rest of the Strands were sleeping (and snoring).

The fact of the matter is: I usually have no idea what to get some friends and even some family. No, that's not true. I have ideas of what I want to get, but I know that realistically I cannot afford them and that bums me out. Then sometimes I feel like it was a really great gift, and then I get the, "Oh.... that's nice..." reaction and I feel like the effort I put forth wasn't worth it. Not like I'm expecting this over the top, screaming reaction, but sometimes I feel like I fell totally flat.

It's a lot of pressure, this Christmas thing.

So this year I'm going to try to make a lot of things. That way if I don't get a great reaction, I'm not going to care because I know damn well that was the best I could do and I put a lot of thought and effort into it.

With that said, it's really hard to find stuff for everyone to make that does not require actual skill or sewing ability. Because I cannot sew. I cannot sew even a button back onto my pants. If Matt doesn't do it in a timely fashion, donate. I will seriously donate it because the stress of the lack of button and it getting onto the pants is too much. So that really limits what I can do.

So here's a question for you: what kind of things are really awesome to get no matter what? Pedicure kits, baking mixes, etc? I'm at a creative loss and I need to get back into the crafting groove.

3 comments:

Danielle S said...

I agree with the whole Thanksgiving thing. Although this is the only time of the year that I actually enjoy eating leftovers. But everyone in our family cooks a dish and we kind of do a pot-luck type deal so that it isn't so overwhelming for just one person.

As far as somme DIY stuff to give away I've had some very positive responses to a set of thank-you cards for someone because I feel like people always want to send a thank-you card, but then don't have them on hand. Also have you seen the mason jars filled with yummy goodies? Those have been amazing. I've done healthy ones for my health food nut friends and then fun ones for other people and they've all loved them. I've tried quite a few of them from Pinterest and they were all really delicious!

Ruth said...

The older I get, the less I like a lot a gifts. Homemade shows you care. Spending a lot just means you spent a lot of money, but not necessarily time. I never had a lot of mone.y to go buy gifts. In the really lean years, nieces and nephews got dollar store gifts. Cookies in a jar mixes are good. I always make goodies for neighbors. Family got baked goods. You could do things like puppy chow or fudge for family gifts or decorate some cupcakes. One year, I decorated sweatshirts for my nieces. I bought plain shirts and painted their name on it and used glitter. They loved them. Nail polish and lotion is always good. Another thing is if you have time, look up freebies online. You can seriously get some great things. One year I got this great angel ornament made of glass. Check Salvation Army or Goodwill. Even if you don't buy, you might get some ideas.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I don't like Thanksgiving either, but then again, I don't really like the food. I'm that crazy person who brings her own meal even if we go to someone else's house because I hate the turkey and most of the sides.

I do love Christmas though. I think giving gifts is fun, but you're right...the "okay" reaction is a let down. I like handmade gifts though. I think those cute, easy to make gifts on pinterest with free printables and stuff are great like the MistleTOES kit and whatnot. If you need ideas, just email me. :)

-Lauren
lauren51990 at aol dot com