Monday, March 9, 2015

Boy Scout Progress! (With the cutest Tiger there ever was, of course.)

Since Jackson is in first grade this year, he was eligible to join Boy Scouts. I kind of convinced him to do it because I want him to get involved in something that would hopefully build some self confidence. He was very much the kid who didn't think he could do things, no matter the amount of positive reinforcement we did.

Which is kind of heartbreaking, really.

Matt isn't very social and my fear is that Jackson would end up the same way. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I just want Jackson to feel more confident and gain friends while learning things that could help him his whole life.

So he joined Boy Scouts.

Admittedly, he wasn't super excited about it at first. We told him he had to stick it out for a year, because we aren't quitters.

As the year has gone on, he's having a lot more fun. He's gone on some "go see its" and gotten to make a few things. We worked on some tasks at home and he's really gotten into it. This last week he had his very first Blue & Gold Banquet. The look on his face as he earned more beads and his next badge on his Tiger Scout journey was priceless.
Jackson before the festivities started, all dressed up. 

Horrible picture. It's the only one I got of him going across the stage. I can't lie, I kind of teared up. I was so proud of my little boy. 

The cutest Tiger Scout there ever was, holding his bag with the beads he had earned so far. He was pretty excited about it. 

At the end, Matt had to go on stage with him (Matt is his Scout partner) so Jackson could have his new badge pinned to his uniform. 

Afterwards, Jackson was pretty excited in the car and kept saying how he couldn't wait until he could earn more badges. He gets to participate in the pine wood derby race next, so him and Matt are going to build his car soon. I hope this is something that he continues to enjoy. Seeing his face beam on stage like that was the greatest feeling as a parent. 

3 comments:

Natalie Busch said...

That's awesome. My son is in first grade and he did cub scouts too! Since I have no previous experience with the program I have been a little overwhelmed at times, but it really is a great opportunity and I am glad we did it.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

That's great he really started to enjoy it as time went on. Cute photos, and congrats to him. :)

Laynah said...

How fun! I'm sure this will be really good for him. He is adorable.