Friday, September 25, 2015

In the news: selfies will kill you, ebooks are LAME, and more!

This has been... the longest week EVER. We had a couple of nice days, and now a couple of blah days and it makes me legit worried how I will fare as a stay at home mom this winter when it's the equivalent to a frozen tundra out there. Anyways- here's the news in my view:

Selfies will KILL you. I am the first one to tell you that I am not anti-selfie. In fact, I love a good selfie because I'm usually alone at home so there isn't someone to take super cute pictures of me and Penelope as we do adorable things. Also, sometimes my profile picture needs to be updated and Matt really sucks as taking pictures. SUCKS, I tell you. As soon as I saw the first advertisements for the selfie stick I just knew this was going to be a thing where we all laughed 20 years down the road just as we do with hammer pants and slap bracelets now. But interestingly, in 2015 there have been more deaths by selfie than there have been by sharks. LET THAT SINK IN. Pretty soon Shark Week is going to be stupid and we'll have Selfie Week or something. But what does it say about society that we don't want to even go to a stranger and say, "Hey- can you take our picture?" instead we'll rely on a stick and look like a total asshole?

Die, Ebooks, DIE. When eBooks became a thing Matt insisted that I get a Nook. By principle I am not a fan of Amazon and I don't shop there and I refuse to get a Kindle, I don't care if it's easier or nicer, I just won't. *insert me stomping my foot here* I got the Nook and the very first book I read on there was Water for Elephants and I remember being amazed at how much faster I read that, no easy task considering I'm a very fast reader anyways. But I also didn't like it. I ended up buying the print copy of the book and I loved it so much more. Now for some reviews I know publishers try to push the eBook version because it's probably cheaper on their and and I hate it. I strongly dislike eBooks. I will always be a pro-print gal and hearing that eBooks sales are down and print remains steady makes my heart burst a little bit. one of my favorite stories of all time is Fahrenheit 451 where it's in the future and they try to rid us of books. As a kid reading this it was horrifying but it was the same feeling I got when there was this surge of eBooks. They, for the most part, aren't any cheaper than print books and just like with CD's, if I can have a tangible thing to hold in my hand, I will always prefer that over something digital I can easily forget about.

Spin, spin, spin faster, dammit! I was recently talking to people about weight loss and I keep hearing that I should do a spin class, it's super fun and goes quickly but you burn a lot of calories. The idea of essentially riding a bike with no destination seems bizarre to me. Then I saw this and if this was an actual class, I'd be all in.

Black Dot Campaign: We've all seen it on Facebook- people are spreading the word that a black dot on your hand means you are in a vulnerable relationship and it's a "silent signal" that they need help and/or may be in immediate danger. Which, super good idea. Until you think about the logistics of it. First off, if they were in danger, are they really going to put the dot on their hand now? I mean, if they've seen it on the news and all over social media, isn't it reasonable to assume their abuser would have as well? What kind of reaction would that get if an abuser saw that on their victim's hand? I mean, I am all for any solution to bring people to safety but this doesn't seem like the safest route in my opinion.

Okay everybody, that's IT for this week. Do you have a news story you want me to weigh in on? Email me at sarastrand9438(at)hotmail(dot)com and it just might get featured! In the meantime, I have a crafty post tomorrow, I'm taking Sunday off, and I'm back at it on Monday morning!

Welcome to Sara's Organized Chaos

10 comments:

Erica Musyt said...

I have a selfie stick and I LOVE it! I'm totally obsessed :) I'm also anti-e books. I love a REAL book :) Have a great weekend! xo *erica* #authenticbloggers

mypixieblog said...

While in theory, I think the black dot campaign sounds like a good idea, having it spread around social media puts it in the public eye and makes it a very scary thing (for all the reasons you mention). Especially if the abuser sees it on his significant other's spouse.

Also, I had no friggin idea re: selfie stick leading to more deaths. Why can't people just ask others to take their pic every now and then? We are becoming a more isolated population every day.

I'm on a fence when eBooks are concerned, here's why. I love print books. LOVE. And I'm a member of my local library and I frequent it often and I love holding a good book. There are however times when I'm traveling and having a Kindle means I can store multiple books on it at once. And it eliminates having to carry around those hefty novels.

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving your comment. I am so sorry you had a similar experience at a VS but I lol'd at your "BOOBS EVERYWHERE" comment :) How is your little one doing??? PS: Bryan hates HATES taking photos too and it's frustrating so I totally feel your pain.

Shann Soiney said...

I really don't get spinning class either, but that video was hilarious. I am terrible at taking selfies and should probably get one of those damn sticks, but I refuse. I've never heard of the black dot thing, but I have a really dark mole on my hand, so I hope no one reports my husband ;)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

We actually bought a selfie stick on vacation and it was fun to use! I agree about CDs and books I like to actually hold them in my hand!

Alexandra S said...

I burst out laughing when I read "in 2015 there have been more deaths by selfie than there have been by sharks." I know it isn't funny... but I just wasn't expecting it ha

And I agree about the ebook! Though I will admit it makes thrifting for books easier with less competition now...

Joyfully Jones said...

I love my selfie stick it's not that I'm in willing to talk to strangers it's just that they take crappy pictures and they don't care about my good angel or my hair or if I have weird chin

Neely said...

A friend gave me a selfie stick as a gag gift. Jokes on her!

Domicile 37 said...

I love reading your blog! We have 2 selfie sticks and we have yet to use them. Spin class...I agree with you. I can barely last 10 minutes on the regular gym stationary bike, I do not know how I would do riding and sweating for 45 minutes. I do not know...I am interested though, but have not allowed myself to commit to attending a class.

Shobelyn Dayrit said...

I haven't tried selfies but when I went home in my country, Philippines. every hand has selfie stick in them... it was rampant.

Caitlin Cheevers said...

I thought the same thing about the black dot campaign! Great intentions, but the execution is a little off.
xo, Caitlin
And Possibly Dinosaurs