Friday, September 11, 2015

In the News: so you think you're smart?

Oh lambs, we've made it! Another week of exciting news to catch up on. Let's dooooo this.

This girl is smarter than you. So this week we learned this 12 year old girl from India has a higher IQ than Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking. And I'm over here trying to figure out how the attachments of my vacuum cleaner work. I mean, I have them connected (I think) but no sucky sucky action is happening.

I am so sorry, Patrick Swayze. Ronda Rousey, who is just a total bomb shell and a bad ass is going to be the Patrick Swayze character in a "reimagining" of Roadhouse. Which, no. I love Ronda, but you don't fuck around with Roadhouse. You just don't. Can we just be done with all of the remakes? Are there really zero good ideas out there? Surely I can give you at least 10 books that would translate to stellar movies. It's like movie executives are just too afraid to spend money on a risk and would rather doing horrible remakes of classics. God damn classics.

Leave Alyssa and her boobs alone. I'm the first one to tell you that breastfeeding was never for me and I don't want to be tied down to a human for sustenance, but I am pro breastfeeding. You want to breastfeed? Awesome. Whip your boob out, at a restaurant, I don't care. I really don't. I really don't give a damn. I think it is absolutely absurd that people expect women to breastfeed in a public bathroom because that is fucking foul. I don't even want to pee in there and every time I have to, I get angry at my bladder for fucking me over YET AGAIN and showing me what a pansy it is and can't just wait until we get home. I mean, would YOU order a sandwich and then walk into the bathroom at the mall and eat it on the counter? No. No you would not. I think breastfeeding beyond the point where your kid can fully verbalize that they are hungry is weird, I don't get it, and it kind of creeps me out, but whatever. It's your kid. Just feed it.

Stop it with the screen time, too. So this is actually a really great article to read if you have kids or if you want to know why kids are ending up being little jerks. Lots of studies are showing that screen time, whether it be on a tablet, a phone, a computer, gaming console, TV, whatever is causing kids to be moody, lazy, etc. Which.... duh. Seriously. As my mother pointed out, it is the same for adults as well and I really agree with her. I'm a fairly strict parent where my kids watched cartoons when they were way little but not often. My TV is mostly off during the day, at most my kids get maybe a half hour of screen time a day, and that's usually to watch Wheel of Fortune so I can show my kids I'm super smart and I'd win us big money if Matt would let me go be on the damn show. But they aren't allowed on the computer, on a tablet, they don't have phones, and they can only use their Nintendo DS on the weekends and for no longer than a half hour.Watching a movie is a treat for them. What kills me is when I see little toddlers on iPads or phones. What the fuck are you doing, parents? Seriously. I get it, I've been there, kids are sometimes hard to entertain. But it's actually your job to teach them how to be patient, quiet, and well behaved in all settings. They don't just learn that, you actually have to teach them. For example, I took both Olivia (10) and Penelope (4 months) to the doctor today. Olivia sat in the waiting room, hands in her lap and quiet. Penelope was a little more vocal, but she's also a baby. But I never resorted to giving my kid an electronic to play with. Especially Jackson, you give him something like that and he will ZONE OUT. For hours if you'd let him. It's not good.

Kim fucking Davis.I mean, I hate her. I think she is the worst kind of example. Honestly, I am the first person to tell you I don't understand religion. I really don't. I don't understand the purpose of it, really. I see all of these Christians on TV applauding her and saying this country needs to embrace Jesus and I'm over here thinking, "What if they are all wrong and really, we're supposed to be worshiping something else?" I mean, really. In a world with so many different religions to pick from, how can you possibly know which one is "The One"? You can't. So instead of making laws based on common sense and being decent people, she (and her followers/supporters) want laws based on what could actually be a work of fiction? That's like me saying I'm holding out for a vampire for a second husband and I think it's really going to work out for us because I mean, there are so many vampire books, surely they can't ALL be made up, right?! So yeah. She's the worst. And what a fucking embarrassment for those that practice Christianity. Seriously. That's what you are putting your stock into- this nut job who has basically shit on the Bible and it's guidelines when it's not convenient for her, and then you have Mike Huckabee who I cannot even understand why anyone votes for him. I don't. It's really alarming.

OK everybody, that's it for this week. Check back next week for more news stories, and follow me on Bloglovin' so you don't miss other really great awesomeness from me. Obviously.

Welcome to Sara's Organized Chaos

7 comments:

Nichole Miller said...

Um just NO to the reboot of Roadhouse. That movie is a classic and should be considered a piece of historical film memorabilia and should not be touched.

Because Sam Elliot and Patrick Swayze.

Mattie @ Northwest Native said...

Kim Davis makes my blood boil/makes me want to throw up all at the same time. It's so psychotic that all these people who want to have a million guns are like, "IT'S IN THE CONSTITUTION SO YEAH #GUNS WOOO!" and then this lady VIOLATES THE CONSTITUTION and (I'm generalizing, but a significant portion of those gun people are probably Christian/don't agree with gay marriage) they praise her!

And YES TO THE SCREEN TIME THING. Michael and I have already said when we have kids they will have VERY limited screen time. When we go out to eat I constantly see kids just staring at iPads while the rest of the family eats or talks or whatever. I don't want to judge because hey, they're not my kids, but what I do know is that we will not be doing that with our kids.

Rae said...

Say what about Roadhouse?! Just NO!!

Anything that has to do with "religious freedom" just pisses me off. Stop using it as an excuse to be a hateful, judgmental human being because your "God" allows you to judge others and be horrible human beings.

Cynthia said...

Yep, just yep.
Cynthia @craftoflaughter

Domicile 37 said...

man, I must not know anything...I have no idea who you are talking about.

Penny Struebig said...

What -- they're remaking Roadhouse?!? No -- that's just wrong. I'm with you - there has got to be some new material out there.

Caitlin Cheevers said...

Awesome roundup! I DEFINITELY need to stop with the screen time...
xo, Caitlin
And Possibly Dinosaurs