Thursday, September 3, 2015

The one and only beach day. And we didn't even get in the water.

So Matt's birthday was in August and honestly, I never know what to do for his birthday or what to get him. I really struggle with any kind of gift giving occasion for him because he really sucks to buy for. I've gone over the top, I've gone with what he kept saying he wanted, I've done thoughtful things and all of it ends up being shit because he hates everything. Nothing in the whole wide world excites him. Honestly, he's not even much of a smiler and doesn't really get joy out of experiences.

Truly, I often wonder how we ended up together because I am all about gifts and experiences.

So this year I figured we'd go to Park Point beach in Duluth and spend some time out there with all of us. If you have never visited Lake Superior, then you don't know how absolutely cold the water is. It's obscene. Even at it's warmest, the water is never warmer than 42 degrees. Our beach safety days include information on hypothermia because that could actually happen to you. I will not go in this water for nothing.

I didn't bother with swim suits because it's a pain in the ass to haul little wet people to the vehicle. So we went in our regular wear but played in the sand.
Penelope came, too. She thought toes in the sand was kind of great.
I think Matt had an alright time. I mean, you never really know but he didn't verbalize he hated it so... win?
Penelope and I hung out on the towel. We did some people watching. Fun fact: nude bathing suits are a big no-no, folks. You think it's cute and I'm telling you it absolutely is not.
Penelope agrees.
Olivia didn't do much. I think she's kind of over the whole sand-on-the-beach thing which I feel like is a bummer.
Jackson is very much in love with sand and was in his own little world building something and was getting really disgusted that water would not stay in his hole.

After discovering I managed to get sand in my underwear, and that remains a mystery, we headed to the playground.
You can tell we watch American Ninja Warrior all summer because these kids kept trying to go through things as fast as possible.
Jackson remains bummed out that he seemingly is not growing fast enough and hanging from anything is a bit of a challenge.
They have zero fear about breaking limbs so they were just jumping away.
I'm sure glad we have health insurance because one of these days.... a Strand will be in a cast. I just know it.
Overall, it was a good day. Between Matt's work schedule, being broke, and me working on PTO stuff for the school, we have had limited family days. Or some of our family days we're missing Matt so it's just the kids and I trying to do something fun to say our summer wasn't a bust. I hope next summer we can go on an adventure. Crossing fingers!

11 comments:

Nichole Miller said...

The adorableness from this post makes my teeth hurt! I loved it! Nice to see pics of the whole family.

Crystal said...

It looks like a fun day! I'm glad you all had a great time. :)

One Mug said...

This looks like a perfect day!

bloggingastrid.com said...

I love to go to the beach. The last time I went, we didn't spend time in the water either because it was September already and pretty cold. I'm sorry you have a hard time gifting Matt anything. Glad he was alriight going to the beach.

Mattie @ Northwest Native said...

There is just something about a baby at the beach...so cute! Michael hates sand. We went to Mexico (but it was free through my work) and he was fine. But I don't think he'd willingly go. So I will have to force him.

Nikki Vergakes said...

Still looked like fun! Loved the beach

Krysten Quiles said...

I told Iz we should go to the beach in Hudson this summer but it never happened. Having a pool at the house is just way too easy and comfortable.

The Flynnigans said...

Sand in your underwear, woman?! Lol. Why am I not surprised. Hahaha Get your shit together, would you?! Lolol

Penny Struebig said...

Looks like such a fun day! Great way to spend family time together.

Shann Soiney said...

Well, I think it looks like your husband had a great time. Your kids are adorable. I wouldn't want to go in freezing water either.

Caitlin Cheevers said...

This looks like a great time! Going to the beach doesn't always have to mean swimming. :)
xo, Caitlin
And Possibly Dinosaurs