Tuesday, November 10, 2015

SIX months. Woo-boy.

It dawned on me very suddenly that Penelope is six months old already. Like, what the hell happened? I remember when I had Olivia and I was up to my neck in post-partum depression, she promised me that the first six months are the hardest. Now in my wisdom (snicker), I'd have to say the first four months are the hardest. The last two have been kind of gravy, really.

So let's see... at six months Penelope can sit on her own. She's pretty proud of herself about this. I don't leave her to sit on the floor by herself without me being nearby because she does enjoy throwing herself backwards so see if someone will catch her. She hit the floor once and was angry at me all day.
But other than that, she's a pretty happy baby 99% of the time. She hardly cries, but I will tell you that from 5-7 p.m. it can get pretty harrowing. She's tired but we can't let her sleep otherwise bedtime is screwed up so it's a lot of us walking around with her, trying different ways to entertain her, all of that.
She is still not a huge fan of food. We did discover that she really likes Mum Mum's biscuits that basically dissolve in her mouth. She gets really excited if she sees me coming with one of those and then gets angry when it's gone.
The best part about six months old is that babies get super playful around now. She really enjoys having a pile of toys in her lap and she patiently plays with each one, rotating through them.
She likes this doll, named Sassy Suzy. It used to be Olivia's and my mom found it at her house and gave it to Penelope. She enjoys eating her feet and playing with the ribbons in her hair. She's a fan of anything ribbon like.
And as I discovered this morning, large stickers. Really likes large stickers.
Overall? She's a joy. Seriously. Every time I think it can't get better than this, it does. I hate to say it because then I feel guilty, but I am having the most fun with her. Maybe it's because I get to see her change every day, maybe it's just wisdom and experience under my belt, but it's really a great time. I am so glad that she came along. It's weird to imagine a life without her, that's for sure.

We had to put her beloved baby swing away, she's gotten much too long and too heavy for it. Which is a total bummer because she LOVED her swing. She really enjoyed being able to lay down and swing away. I am so disappointed I haven't found something similar for babies 25 pounds and up because she really loved that thing. Afternoons should be a total delight now. Yikes. But in all seriousness, I got teary putting the baby swing away. I had already given the baby clothes she's outgrown to someone else and I did it knowing it would help someone but in my gut I felt sick about it. What if? What if I wanted another one. It's the worst feeling in the world, this indecisiveness. Perhaps a post for another day.

But today... today I snuggle my girl because she truly is one of the best decisions I have ever made.

4 comments:

Julie H said...

Sounds like you DO want another one :)

She's such a cutie!

middlechild said...

So very happy for you and appreciate the pics.

middlechild said...

So very happy for you and appreciate the pics.

Mattie @ Northwest Native said...

She is SO cute. I love her big eyes.

Also loving your new blog design!